Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Using Supermarket Diesel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    What's the connection?
    I expect I can find one if you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    (Disclaimer: I am landlubber, I have no met diesel bug).
    On what basis do you feel qualified to dispense advice to real boatowners, who may rely on your advice?

Erm? Wha? Just put some in-line filters in place and use the same cheap stuff as the rest of us, you'll save a bundle. As long as you maintain your engine (at least yearly) you'll be fine. Unless your boat is a powerboat or your car is a performance car neither you nor your engine will see any benefit.

(Disclaimer: I am landlubber, I have no met diesel bug).
    I have not one but two filters. A 30 micron primary filter and a 10 micron filter on the engine, Volvo Penta 2002.

But I have seen the benefit in a cleaner burn.

Our mechanics work on all sorts of diesel engines and I trust their knowledgeand experiance.
    Last edited by Sandy; 25-08-19 at 17:16.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    On what basis do you feel qualified to dispense advice to real boatowners, who may rely on your advice?
    Actually such advice comes from a seasoned boat owner (see Patrick Laine's vblogs). I put the disclaimer in there purposefully for people to check.

@Sandy,

Most people don't notice the difference between using one type of diesel or the other, but if you can notice it and you think it's worth the money (and at £6.00 extra probably not so bad in the round) then by all means. The information I rely on to support my basis for it doesn't matter is advice from the RAC, AA and a number of documentaries on whether it's worth going for the premium fuels, caveat is that most of that research applies for cars. Though I'd have thought boat engines would be even less sensitive.

Speaking of which, what's the view on home brew bio-fuel? In a number of early landrovers, you could practically tip vegetable oil with a little ethanol into the tank and it'd run just fine.

Actually such advice comes from a seasoned boat owner (see Patrick Laine's vblogs). I put the disclaimer in there purposefully for people to check.

@Sandy,

Most people don't notice the difference between using one type of diesel or the other, but if you can notice it and you think it's worth the money (and at £6.00 extra probably not so bad in the round) then by all means. The information I rely on to support my basis for it doesn't matter is advice from the RAC, AA and a number of documentaries on whether it's worth going for the premium fuels, caveat is that most of that research applies for cars. Though I'd have thought boat engines would be even less sensitive.

Speaking of which, what's the view on home brew bio-fuel? In a number of early landrovers, you could practically tip vegetable oil with a little ethanol into the tank and it'd run just fine.
    Home brew bio has no quaility control and I would not touch it with my spinnaker pole.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We filled up in the south of France the other week , we needed 250 lts , marinas was charging 1.58 pl , we carried it in cans from a road side garages , we had a 5 mins walk , garage to dinghy @1.35 pl
    That a saving of €57 , well worth the walk ,
    Presumably more than a few 5 minute walks and dinghy trips were required?

This year I have been paying 99p at the 60/40 split when buying red at marinas.

Local guy with a big old wooden pilot boat. 8 cyl Gardner donk, just ordered up the local heating bloke and loaded a couple of tonnes. It was in the Marina and nobody blinked. Paid about €0.67 /lt. While we paid €1.30 for legal white at the pump.

Then there was the skipper on a biggish mobo, who paid 12,000 euro to fill up in Portimao, on his way to the med. Not his money, of course. Down there, it was road pump price..

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Doesn't seem to be a problem for the tens of thousands of boats in EU who, like us for the last 12 years, have to use FAME road diesel.
    Very many thanks for the results of your comprehensive and wide-ranging survey, covering tens of thousands of boats. How many of those were the older diesel engines to which I referred, and which I know are liable to severe damage to the seals from modern DERV or whatever you call it in the EU?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast