Default Princess 380 tamd63p

Hey guys I am going to be viewing a princess 380 with tamd63p with 1300 hours tomorrow and looking to see if anyone has experience with this boat and same engines I have just sold my princess 35 that had the tamd41a and they where good engines so just looking to see anything to look for on this one.

Regards
    Marty

Default Re: Princess 380 tamd63p

Hi Marty

Can't comment on the P380 as a bot but I had 63p's on my F43 and I must say they were very solid lumps and always started on the button. Some issues I had comprised one alternator failure in over 5 years, I had a turbo problem so had that overhauled, otherwise they were very good reliable engines IMO.

Not sure how they configure the exhaust elbow on the P380 but they do get corroded and are expensive to replace, my engines were also a bit smokey on a run, so I was frequently cleaning the bathing platform.

I am sure our engine Guru's will be along soon with a more technical appraisal but I found these engines simple and effective.
    PRINCESS 45

Quote Originally Posted by Marty87 View Post
    Hey guys I am going to be viewing a princess 380 with tamd63p with 1300 hours tomorrow and looking to see if anyone has experience with this boat and same engines I have just sold my princess 35 that had the tamd41a and they where good engines so just looking to see anything to look for on this one.

Regards
    Marty
    Must be the one at NYA

Cool Re: Princess 380 tamd63p

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Must be the one at NYA
    Not sure about the boat but The Volvo 63p is the most robust motor Volvo ever made.
    The last of the pure mechanical motors, no electronic controls to go wrong.

We have a 26 year old, 33 foot Aquastar with a single 63p apart from twice blowing the alternator (dost like running Air conditioning via an inverter) it hasn't missed a beat. From the Uk to Jersey, to France through inland waterways Paris, Rhone Soane to the Med all French med coast several times, all Spanish med coast several times, Gibraltar, Morocco, Italy, Monacco, (think they thought we were a scruffy tender to a proper boat) through the Canal du Midi, Bay of Biscay to Brest, back along the Channel to Jersey, took 4.5 years,. We set off again from Jersey this year to do it all again in reverse, still no problem with the P63 but the bow thruster died at La Rochelle so we aborted this years trip and came back to the Channel Islands to have a new thruster fitted. P63 still running fine.
    Last edited by blampied; 27-08-19 at 08:33.
    If your not currently living on a boat.
    Don't give up on your dreams. Keep sleeping!

If itís the one at NYA and the one Iím thinking of it was a friend of a friends boat and a good boat. I think his dad bought it new and spec-ed it with bigger tanks genny ect.

What year is it?
    The TAMD63 between approx 94-97 have issues with parts coming of the intake valve
    Not all but it happend every now and then. Not uncommon
    If the engines are in that range of year I advice you to calcute with the cost of replacing the intake valves

Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    What year is it?
    The TAMD63 between approx 94-97 have issues with parts coming of the intake valve
    Not all but it happend every now and then. Not uncommon
    If the engines are in that range of year I advice you to calcute with the cost of replacing the intake valves
    I would assume (hope) that these have all been sorted by now

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I would assume (hope) that these have all been sorted by now
    Unfortunately not as it tend to not happen when the engines were newer
    The ones I heard of from friends boats and friends friends boats etc has happened the latest 10 years and 1000-1500 hours
    Happened to both engines on a friends 1995 Princess 420. One engine last summer and the other engine the summer before
    The small parts from the valve move from cylinder to cylinder so it ends up pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
    Unfortunately not as it tend to not happen when the engines were newer
    The ones I heard of from friends boats and friends friends boats etc has happened the latest 10 years and 1000-1500 hours
    Happened to both engines on a friends 1995 Princess 420. One engine last summer and the other engine the summer before
    The small parts from the valve move from cylinder to cylinder so it ends up pretty bad
    Is this failing of inlet valves something that Volvo have acknowledged?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Is this failing of inlet valves something that Volvo have acknowledged?
    Yes they do
    Later the intake valves was changed to better ones but the buyers/boat owners was as always not informed about the problem
    Volvo Penta in a nutshell...