Default Ruggerini RM90 push rods?

I've taken the head off of the engine to replace the gasket. The push rod orientation is fore/aft off of the cam on the crank, but the tappets are side by side, which I didn't notice until the head was free, and I didn't see which way around the push rods go. This'll make sense to someone with the knowledge of these old engines, and I'd appreciate the help, otherwise I've got to guess which way they go, with the possible result that the head'll be 360° out, which would present a new issue!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Default Re: Ruggerini RM90 push rods?

It doesn't tell you in the manual? Not sure whether they want an arm and a leg for these manuals.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-3826169.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...Series-Ry.html

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    I've taken the head off of the engine to replace the gasket. The push rod orientation is fore/aft off of the cam on the crank, but the tappets are side by side, which I didn't notice until the head was free, and I didn't see which way around the push rods go. This'll make sense to someone with the knowledge of these old engines, and I'd appreciate the help, otherwise I've got to guess which way they go, with the possible result that the head'll be 360° out, which would present a new issue!
    If the RM90 is the same as the RM 80 in coopec's link although I understand what you men about the push rods being fore and aft of each other and the rockers and valves being side by side I don't see how you can put it together incorrectly.

I guess you mean "the head will be 180° out" not "360° out" if you turn something 360° you will have turned it a complete turn and be back where you started.

If you fit the head 180° out, even if that is possible, nothing else will fit.

It is obvious which valve is which valve is which and if it is necessary to determine which push rod is which can can do so by rotating the crankshaft. There will be two consecutive strokes, the compression stroke followed by the power stroke during which both valves will be closed. The next stroke is the exhaust stroke during which the exhaust valve will open, allowing you to identify the exhaust push rod. Finally during the fourth stroke, the induction stroke, the inlet valve will open allowing you to identify the inlet valve push rod.

Fit the rockers so that the exhaust push rod operates the exhaust valve and the inlet push rod operates the inlet valve ( I doubt if you could get them reversed anyway)

I fancy you are overthinking this. I suspect it will only go back together correctly, but do you know torque settings and valve clearances etc.
    Last edited by VicS; 25-08-19 at 06:03.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If the RM90 is the same as the RM 80 in coopec's link although I understand what you men about the push rods being fore and aft of each other and the rockers and valves being side by side I don't see how you can put it together incorrectly.

I guess you mean "the head will be 180° out" not "360° out" if you turn something 360° you will have turned it a complete turn and be back where you started.

If you fit the head 180° out, even if that is possible, nothing else will fit.

It is obvious which valve is which valve is which and if it is necessary to determine which push rod is which can can do so by rotating the crankshaft. There will be two consecutive strokes, the compression stroke followed by the power stroke during which both valves will be closed. The next stroke is the exhaust stroke during which the exhaust valve will open, allowing you to identify the exhaust push rod. Finally during the fourth stroke, the induction stroke, the inlet valve will open allowing you to identify the inlet valve push rod.

Fit the rockers so that the exhaust push rod operates the exhaust valve and the inlet push rod operates the inlet valve ( I doubt if you could get them reversed anyway)

I fancy you are overthinking this. I suspect it will only go back together correctly, but do you know torque settings and valve clearances etc.
    I don't know that engine but if you follow Vic's instructions you can't go wrong .... and next time you dismantle anything and don't have a manual it's best to make sure you take lots of photos. Phone pics are usually fine. I had to fit new HT leads to a car yesterday which involved draining down the coolant system, removing the exhaust downpipes, exhaust manifolds, intake plenum, alternator, polyvee belt, throttle and cruise control cables, intake ducting and secondary air intake systems. Once you have half the engine in bits on the floor just to replace 8 simple cables, you are grateful for phone cameras.

Richard

Thanks for all of the replies. When I stated that the head was 360° out, I wasn't meaning the orientation of the head, but the rotation of the crank on this 4 stroke engine. I agree fully about the pics of course, but hindsight etc.etc. On any engine that I've previously dismantled and repaired, it's always been totally obvious which way around the pushrods go; this engine is Italian though, and they fit equally well into either tappet.
    In the manual that I have, which is more an owner maintenance item, the clearances (0.15mm) are given but not the torque on the head nuts, these I've taken from my other engine's manual at 30 N.m.
    Thanks for posting the manual link Coopec, but the 1st is the parts manual which I've got, and the other's for a different engine, but on page 7 of the parts manual, it 'sort of' shows the issue.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Thanks for all of the replies. When I stated that the head was 360° out, I wasn't meaning the orientation of the head, but the rotation of the crank on this 4 stroke engine. I agree fully about the pics of course, but hindsight etc.etc. On any engine that I've previously dismantled and repaired, it's always been totally obvious which way around the pushrods go; this engine is Italian though, and they fit equally well into either tappet.
    In the manual that I have, which is more an owner maintenance item, the clearances (0.15mm) are given but not the torque on the head nuts, these I've taken from my other engine's manual at 30 N.m.
    Thanks for posting the manual link Coopec, but the 1st is the parts manual which I've got, and the other's for a different engine, but on page 7 of the parts manual, it 'sort of' shows the issue.
    Then identify which is which in the way I suggest. Be sure to turn the engine in its normal running direction

30Nm seems to be very low torque for the head bolts on a diesel engine. Are you sure about this?

Maybe it's the engine torque?

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 25-08-19 at 11:08.