Default Split plastic fuel tank

Friend has a split near a corner in a ten year old plastic tank. It looks to me as though the rotation moulding was faulty, as the thickness is only 3-4mm, the rest of the tank and comparative areas near other identical corners seem thicker.
    Never come across one to fail like this, has anyone else?

I would be inclined to drill a hole in another corner and compare thickness, then maybe complain. He has replaced the tank.

Default Re: Split plastic fuel tank

Going by the weight of these tanks, I'd doubt they are much thicker than 4mm average.

10 years seems a bit long to expect recompense. 3-4mm might be the target thickness and the other corners could all be above specification.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Relatively easy to fix with a thermostatic heat gun, plus (very important) rods of the right compatible plastic.

I use a Leistner for agriplastic fixes, but I have seen people making a very good job with soldering iron.

I suspect that the split being in the corner may be the result of bash, as corners are not flexible.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Ten years a bit optimistic. The tank was sat in a GRP tray made in a mould taken from the tank, the split was above the tray. I agree, 3mm may be over the minimum. I doubt it was bashed, but there was a battery replacement nearby recently. Just I nvere heard of one failing, obviously it happens.

If you are going to plastic weld the tank make sure you empty all the fuel out first