Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Perkins 4108 coolant flow problem

Similar issue to mine after fitting new water pumps (fresh and raw). Put the pre mix coolant in I asked for at local autofactors. On first start climbed to 90c after 10 minutes although I have a 75c thermostat and the overheat alarm sounded. New impeller and pumping water at the exhaust outlet. Wasn't airlocked. Little dickhead had given me regular anti freeze and the big dickhead (me) didn't check the label. Drained the system, put 50/50 mix in, normal service resumed and rock steady at 75c. Schoolboy error but they can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beef View Post
    Similar issue to mine after fitting new water pumps (fresh and raw). Put the pre mix coolant in I asked for at local autofactors. On first start climbed to 90c after 10 minutes although I have a 75c thermostat and the overheat alarm sounded. New impeller and pumping water at the exhaust outlet. Wasn't airlocked. Little dickhead had given me regular anti freeze and the big dickhead (me) didn't check the label. Drained the system, put 50/50 mix in, normal service resumed and rock steady at 75c. Schoolboy error but they can happen.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "regular antifreeze" but the thermal transfer properties of water and various dilutions of any kind of antifreeze are so similar that I don't think you would notice any difference under normal running conditions. Using pure undiluted antifreeze would, in theory, cause the engine to run slightly hotter if its cooling system was marginal but, once again, in most engines I don't think that there would be any problem from a cooling perspective.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 16-09-19 at 20:08.

Well I can testify that if I use undiluted antifreeze in my 4108 it will run 25c over normal operation temp within 20 mins and the overheat alarm will go off. That's first hand experience with identical engine to OP which may be of more use than the physics text book.

Well I can testify that if I use undiluted antifreeze in my 4108 it will run 25c over normal operation temp within 20 mins and the overheat alarm will go off. That's first hand experience with identical engine to OP which may be of more use than the physics text book.
    That's interesting. It suggests that use at normal dilution will increase the running temp slightly above that of pure water?
    Not the issue with mine. The 'infra red' thermometer has been very useful. It seems that I may have had an air lock of some kind but there was an issue with the engine sensor or the engine gauge which although allegedly being centigrade was reading Fahrenheit! Still 'playing' and still trying to get drains out !!

Thanks

My overheating issue may have more to do with the thicker viscosity of undiluted antifreeze versus a correctly diluted mix rather than thermal cooling properties.

Like the other members who have contributed I would be interested to hear the solution should I encounter identical trouble down the line.

Best of luck, sorry not to be more helpful.

As you say, it's a viscosity effect .... but It wasn't clear that your term "regular" antifreeze meant "undiluted" antifreeze. As I said, in most engines the overhead is such that even undiluted antifreeze would not cause major overheating under normal operating conditions but in an engine where cooling is marginal because of age or design, then it could lead to problems. Some people deliberately run their engines on undiluted antifreeze without any problems but I would not recommend it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    As you say, it's a viscosity effect .... but It wasn't clear that your term "regular" antifreeze meant "undiluted" antifreeze. As I said, in most engines the overhead is such that even undiluted antifreeze would not cause major overheating under normal operating conditions but in an engine where cooling is marginal because of age or design, then it could lead to problems. Some people deliberately run their engines on undiluted antifreeze without any problems but I would not recommend it.

Richard
    Age and design sir!! How very dare you?? this is a 4108 we are discussing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123