Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Opinions on SS Manhattan 66

we're in the process of seriously upgrading from a Sqn 52 and I've seen a couple of SS Manhattan 66's at a reasonable price. The Sqn 52 was a bit of a disaster and there are many learning points from that! things i like about the 66: the aft galley, the 4 cabin layout, decent sized engine room, well laid out Fly Bridge and from what I've read, it seems fairly economical with fuel when at cruising speed. Another option, but much more expensive, would be something like a P62. I'd also like to relocate to the eastern Med, possibly Greece, due to the cost of being in Denia and the attitude of the Spanish . Any and all opinions welcomed.

Default Re: Opinions on SS Manhattan 66

Wise move up .
    A lot of bang for your buck , meant in a complimentary way btw .
    S/Skr that size from that date have Integrity.

We are currently on one at the moment. Not ours but charter in Mallorca.

Overall really nice Boat with some great features.

Aft cockpit feels very tight with having the bar in the cockpit.

Aft cockpit table is very small. We only have 4 on board so ok but for 8 it wouldn’t work.

Aft separate stair case to master cabin makes the saloon area feel smaller by the cockpit and also seems to encroach on spec in the master cabin.

Love the bathrooms along the bulk head between cabin and engine room.

Portugese forward seating is brilliant.

No internal dining area but this does make the saloon feel large and airy

Flybridge works well. Nice layout. Def needs the aft sun canopy on the back of the hard top

Fun stabs, side power, feel like they are positioned wrong on the boat we are on.

Platform shower is really nice option but looks like someone has left crew cabin door open 😀

Because of the volume Into a 66 it can make the boat looks stubby from angles.

Overall really nice and be good to change a few bits on one.

Master wardrobe not great / full hanging.

Not much storage in guest cabins

Quote Originally Posted by MRC View Post
    We are currently on one at the moment. Not ours but charter in Mallorca.

Overall really nice Boat with some great features.

Aft cockpit feels very tight with having the bar in the cockpit.

Aft cockpit table is very small. We only have 4 on board so ok but for 8 it wouldn’t work.

Aft separate stair case to master cabin makes the saloon area feel smaller by the cockpit and also seems to encroach on spec in the master cabin.

Love the bathrooms along the bulk head between cabin and engine room.

Portugese forward seating is brilliant.

No internal dining area but this does make the saloon feel large and airy

Flybridge works well. Nice layout. Def needs the aft sun canopy on the back of the hard top

Fun stabs, side power, feel like they are positioned wrong on the boat we are on.

Platform shower is really nice option but looks like someone has left crew cabin door open ��

Because of the volume Into a 66 it can make the boat looks stubby from angles.

Overall really nice and be good to change a few bits on one.

Master wardrobe not great / full hanging.

Not much storage in guest cabins
    thanks for taking the time for such a comprehensive response, much appreciated as its so difficult to get a feel from limited photographs alone.

Do bear in mind that this is the current model 66 and I am not sure which one you are seeking

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Do bear in mind that this is the current model 66 and I am not sure which one you are seeking
    looking at a 2007 model in the 4 cabin layout

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    I'd also like to relocate to the eastern Med, possibly Greece, due to the cost of being in Denia and the attitude of the Spanish . Any and all opinions welcomed.
    Switching from Spain to Greece will be a big change in many aspects. Infrastructure, service level, stubborn PP officers or rough weather (think Meltemi), etc. On the other side you'll find the most beautiful nature ever, very friendly and warm Greeks and thousands of years of culture. Which area do you mean with eastern Greece, the Dodecanese?

I keep my 50' mobo in Greece since 5 years. The first 2 acclimatizing years were used to discover everything between Corfu and Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. Year 3 we did the Corinth Canal and its gulf twice and also discovered the Argo Saronic Gulfs on the East of the canal. Year 4 was spent in the rough Peloponnese and this year we went to the Western Cyclades in the Aegean Sea.

Why do I tell you all that? Well, in working ourselves through Greece from West to East we started with the easiest cruising grounds and switched gradually to more demanding areas with less / or very few infrastructure and more demanding weather. If I would have started with the Cyclades in year 1, I could have ended doing my boating alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardmy View Post
    Switching from Spain to Greece will be a big change in many aspects. Infrastructure, service level, stubborn PP officers or rough weather (think Meltemi), etc. On the other side you'll find the most beautiful nature ever, very friendly and warm Greeks and thousands of years of culture. Which area do you mean with eastern Greece, the Dodecanese?

I keep my 50' mobo in Greece since 5 years. The first 2 acclimatizing years were used to discover everything between Corfu and Zakynthos in the Ionian Sea. Year 3 we did the Corinth Canal and its gulf twice and also discovered the Argo Saronic Gulfs on the East of the canal. Year 4 was spent in the rough Peloponnese and this year we went to the Western Cyclades in the Aegean Sea.

Why do I tell you all that? Well, in working ourselves through Greece from West to East we started with the easiest cruising grounds and switched gradually to more demanding areas with less / or very few infrastructure and more demanding weather. If I would have started with the Cyclades in year 1, I could have ended doing my boating alone!
    i guess the truth is the Spanish are winding me up and i'm not allowed to 'tell them what i think' the attraction of the eastern med is the quality of marine life and the abundance of places to go. Denia is fine, but it's a minimum of 3 hours heading 090 to reach the islands to find a nice bay or cove, and then if you don't get your elbows out it can be pretty crowded. In terms of area, i'm not that advanced yet, I'd welcome ideas and suggestions, we'd be looking for ease of flights from the UK, nice marina and local facilities, half decent chandler or equivalent and lots of reasonable red ! a lot to ask i know and there will obviously be compromises but that's the starting point.

I am in Mallorca and can understand your frustrations.

Mallorca is expensive and the recent anchoring limitations - weed - add hassle to the expense.

I am not sure Greece will be easier for you.

Just like everything life is a compromise but fortunately a boat can more from one compromise to another

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I am in Mallorca and can understand your frustrations.

Mallorca is expensive and the recent anchoring limitations - weed - add hassle to the expense.

I am not sure Greece will be easier for you.

Just like everything life is a compromise but fortunately a boat can more from one compromise to another
    Agreed, just scoping what might be possible, another area of interest would be the Dalmation coast, Split and Dubrovnik are reasonably accessible. The Spanish are about to reap what they sow in my opinion, unjustifiable fees, taxes and corruption as well as their attitude. Some decent, well placed marinas in Croatia, Greece or Turkey could be the answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast