Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: water in boat tanks during the summer

I'm UK based, never had a problem with the water going off in a tank. 99% of water used onboard is boiled for tea or coffee. There is the odd drop that goes in our whisky.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Milton solution in the tanks and fit a filter under sink by Jabsco or slash out on premium brand filter. We just use tap for kettle and nexpresso but bottled for drinking. Our bottle water lasts through the season on board with no adverse taste impact from heat but it's kept against the hull so doesn't seem that hot when removed and put in fridge . We also found a carrefour cooling box works very well at cooling water bottles.

Fot those who buy bottled water.
    Buying water (and anything ) in plastic bottles is something we should all try to avoid or minimise. Re- using those bottles is at least helping cut down on the plastic waste that is polluting many parts if the environment.
    It seems impossible to avoid plastic but every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Buying water (and anything ) in plastic bottles is something we should all try to avoid or minimise. Re- using those bottles is at least helping cut down on the plastic waste that is polluting many parts if the environment.
    Even more important is the fact that bottled water has far more microplastic particles in it than tap water!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Imo it's unnecessary to use chlorine to disinfect your tanks provided the seals are good and they're filled from a good quality public supply. Algal growth doesn't occur in the absence of sunlight and I never found the taste of tank water unacceptable. I drain the tanks if I'm laying up over winter and use commercial sterilising tablets when refilling, drain, flush and fill as I would with public water supply equipment.
    I once opened the hatches on my tanks after a couple of years and found no contamination apart from some soft white pimples which appeared calcium like. I scrubbed them off and flushed out. [aQUOTE=MartynG;6887907]Fot those who buy bottled water.
    It seems impossible to avoid plastic but every little helps.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I wholly agree. We use boat water filtered, but for those who are concerned, it is not hard to fill a container with water from the marina tap for the day's use and keep it cool or in the fridge.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12