Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New GF who dosen't like boats

Let me explain. I'm 45yrs old. I work in security. I left school at 16 and went straight to the trawlers, there was no power block, we were a side trawler, we heaved the net in by hand clenching it as the boat rocked.

My sister on the other hand, she was born in 1979, you do the counting of age lol. She went to the airplanes, I called her a trolly dolly. She worked as an air hostess and then ended up groundstaff for Ryanair. Now good on her on this one, She married a pilot and lives in Essex and works in Stanstead. (her husband is the most inept childish person that I've ever met in my life) I like boats and God didn't mean us to fly. This is not the point.

My point being, I was working at a door in Belfast, turned around and there she was, my new girlfriend. My exact words were holy "eff" youre georgeous. I now have a new GF.

She's from Glasgow (Wishaw) and wants to fly over. I said why? sealink or P&O at least they have a lounge, they have a bar too.

I'm thinking that to get her to do stuff inside of the boat might help. She hasn't been in it yet so I'm hoping it'll be addictive if she makes it her own.

I'll get her converted but any help or one liners would be appreciated lol

Kind regards

Skip

Default Re: New GF who dosen't like boats

Does she know cockney rhyming slang? Ask if she wants to come on your boat.

She is from Wishaw, not Glasgow, huge difference. She will have the measure of you either way. No one liner will help, you think you are converting her, she is converting or exploiting you. Time will tell.

Ask her if she went to 'The Heathery' on a Friday night. If Yes, RLF, if No, be on your guard.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    God didn't mean us to fly.
    Reminds me of an old cartoon: Two tramps shuffling along a road. One looks up at an airliner passing above. Says to the other 'If God had intended us to fly, he would have given us tickets'.

Re your girlfriend - Don't bank on her getting to like boats: she may well feel that God didn't intend us to float! Some are scared of the water and will never get over that. Most just don't see the point of boats, and every bit of discomfort or fear will reinforce that unless and until they are bitten by the bug.

Certainly take it very, very slowly. Treat the boat as a stationary, floating caravan to start with. Avoid any swell, waves, strong winds etc. until she is ready (which may be a long time or never). Make sure that she feels in control and introduce her gently to things she can quickly grasp. Get her to drive/steer the boat in calm conditions, initially under engine only and at slow speed. (Sails and their controls are very confusing and daunting to the uninitiated). If she starts to get into it, encourage her to go on a RYA Competent Crew or similar course, preferably an all women one.

Be aware that it is often the relationship with the person who is the skipper, when they are playing that role (and the greater knowledge and responsibility for making decisions that involves), that is off-putting, even when all is sweetness and light in other contexts.

Ensure that going on the boat means that she gets to do things that she wants to do.

Good luck. It does occasionally work!

Ditch her now it will be nothing but trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Tend to agree..

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    +1

A photo of the lady would enable more helpful advice to be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    A photo of the lady would enable more helpful advice to be given.
    For the lads...

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    Let me explain. I'm 45yrs old. I work in security. I left school at 16 and went straight to the trawlers, there was no power block, we were a side trawler, we heaved the net in by hand clenching it as the boat rocked.

My sister on the other hand, she was born in 1979, you do the counting of age lol. She went to the airplanes, I called her a trolly dolly. She worked as an air hostess and then ended up groundstaff for Ryanair. Now good on her on this one, She married a pilot and lives in Essex and works in Stanstead. (her husband is the most inept childish person that I've ever met in my life) I like boats and God didn't mean us to fly. This is not the point.

My point being, I was working at a door in Belfast, turned around and there she was, my new girlfriend. My exact words were holy "eff" youre georgeous. I now have a new GF.

She's from Glasgow (Wishaw) and wants to fly over. I said why? sealink or P&O at least they have a lounge, they have a bar too.

I'm thinking that to get her to do stuff inside of the boat might help. She hasn't been in it yet so I'm hoping it'll be addictive if she makes it her own.

I'll get her converted but any help or one liners would be appreciated lol

Kind regards

Skip
    My mother was from Wishaw. Not sure what that means.

Why get a ferry when it is as cheap to fly and much quicker? And ferries and sailing boats are totally different, so a ferry is not a stepping stone to anything.

My tiler (fit and handsome, but an awful talker) said no more Bangor women after his wife dumped him. He got in tow with a policewoman from Kilmarnock. Unfortunately I had a lot of tiling to do over a few months, so I got a weekly report on the goings on of his love interest. I suspected his looks were of more interest to her than his conversation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast