Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New GF who dosen't like boats

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    Let me explain. I'm 45yrs old. I work in security. I left school at 16 and went straight to the trawlers, there was no power block, we were a side trawler, we heaved the net in by hand clenching it as the boat rocked.

My sister on the other hand, she was born in 1979, you do the counting of age lol. She went to the airplanes, I called her a trolly dolly. She worked as an air hostess and then ended up groundstaff for Ryanair. Now good on her on this one, She married a pilot and lives in Essex and works in Stanstead. (her husband is the most inept childish person that I've ever met in my life) I like boats and God didn't mean us to fly. This is not the point.

My point being, I was working at a door in Belfast, turned around and there she was, my new girlfriend. My exact words were holy "eff" youre georgeous. I now have a new GF.

She's from Glasgow (Wishaw) and wants to fly over. I said why? sealink or P&O at least they have a lounge, they have a bar too.

I'm thinking that to get her to do stuff inside of the boat might help. She hasn't been in it yet so I'm hoping it'll be addictive if she makes it her own.

I'll get her converted but any help or one liners would be appreciated lol

Kind regards

Skip
    Not liking ferries is a long way from not liking boating.

Quiet afternoon, tea or coffee in the cockpit - get nice cakes. Explain with the invite that trainers might be a better bet than high heels.
    Make sure everywhere is clean and tidy. Especially the heads are spotless and smell good.

Does depend how much time and effort you are prepared to invest in your long term relationship.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

To women, boats are much like motorcycles in that as soon as they see them they want to get aboard, then as soon as it moves they want to get off.

Skip,

Some good advise above.

I'd add - choose the weather to have her on board with particular care. Think of warm and sunny. Forget the tea and biscuits - think of chilled wine (she is from Wishaw, not Glasgow) and some smoked salmon. But if she prefers a pint of heavy - do you still serve pints? - then humour her.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Re your girlfriend - Don't bank on her getting to like boats: she may well feel that God didn't intend us to float! Some are scared of the water and will never get over that. Most just don't see the point of boats, and every bit of discomfort or fear will reinforce that unless and until they are bitten by the bug.
    Ditch her now. I spent much time in my last marriage of 10 years trying to get my ex-wife to come sailing. F. waste of time (and 10 years). If your girlfriend doesn't immediately enjoy it in the first one or two trips out then be honest to yourself and get rid.

Do you really want the rest of your life living with a missus that doesn't want you to go sailing, hates boats and doesn't have the time of day for the main thing in life that you enjoy? Do you sit at work looking forward to sailing at the weekend or looking forward to inviting your/her family to Sunday lunch?

Your decision...

ditch her now, F'n waste of time trying to convert her.
    and if you recon she is still gorgeous now, check out her mum ......

Can she swim? If not, she’ll never feel particularly confident on a boat. Then its a stark choice, go sailing while she’s at home or look around a bit longer.
    Looks fade for all of us.
    Pardon?

People either settle into boats or they don't; it has something to do with their natural senses. I would start on a fine day, as suggested, and give her some area of responsibility so that she gets a feeling of shared ownership. It would be sexist to suggest the galley for this, so maybe the drins locker? There are plenty of routines on deck and with maintenance which are satisfying even when they are laborious, even polishing a bit of stainless. We once had guests on our one-week-old boat. During a wet spell under the cockpit hood the lady of the couple had spent some time cleaning the cockpit and came out with the classic remark when we wanted to use it, "don't make a mess in my cockpit".
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Surely a man with all the the OPs charm and carisma and a Skipper to boot would be attractive enough to overcome any form of resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    Ah, romance is not yet dead.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    When I first met my wife, her mother was a reasonably attractive-looking woman in her early forties, unfortunately my wife has turned out to have inherited her father's looks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast