Thread: Gravelines

Default Gravelines

Anyone been into Gravelines this season? Fancy poking my head in there while I’ve got a week off. Wondered what depths are like. Reeds says ‘almost dries,’ elsewhere I’ve seen ‘dredged to 1.5m.’

Default Re: Gravelines

We were there a couple of years ago. The marina pretty much dries but the mud is so soft that you sit upright on your waterline in the mud - it’s just a more stable form of floating.
    Last edited by MikeBz; 26-08-19 at 15:54. Reason: Corrected autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    We were there a couple of years ago. The marina pretty much dries but the mud is so soft that you sit upright on your waterline in the mud - it’s just a more stable form of floating.
    Thanks Mike. Familiar with that form of floating after getting it very wrong coming out of Pyefleet on a dark and misty morning https://allatseawithstargazer.blogsp...rt-2-yang.html (well that's my excuse anyway!)

I was there at the end of last summer, and it was same as the previous summer, and exactly as described by Mikbz above.

There's always been some water on the outward ends of the pontoons at low water when I've been there, but I can't remember what the height of the tide was at those times. When I was last there they had stopped closing the swing (?) footbridge above the water gate just downstream of the marina, so if the gates are open, off you go if there's enough depth. (There is an illuminated digital depth gauge either side of the gate/sill. The one for heading outwards is visible from the marina. ) Note it is no longer possible to access the inland canal system (upstream of the marina) by boat from Gravelines.

As you will be coming in and going out near high tide, there's plenty of water for berthing/unberthing, except perhaps very close to the back of the pontoons if you have a deep keel, but visitors will usually be towards the outer ends of the pontoons or the first pontoon you come to, where there is a bit more depth.

When the water goes out you just sit comfortably in the very soft mud. You might want to close cooling water, etc. seacocks to prevent mud being forced into them, but we forgot once with no ill effect.

It's a really lovely little town, just 15 mins or so walk away from the marina. I particularly recommend having a walk around the parks and paths along the moat which surrounds the town, and/or rent a canoe or pedalo to circumnavigate the town walls. There are some good restaurants.

The marina staff are very pleasant. Decent facilities (including bike hire IIRC). Bar with snacks/meals on site. Small (part-time?) boatyard. There's a modest sized Aldi (or is it Lidl?) adjacent, and big supermarket about 10 minutes walk away.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 26-08-19 at 22:03. Reason: added re depth gauge

I returned from Gravelines on Saturday. HW for teh two days I was there was around 7 or 1900 each day. they closed the lock gates at night but not during the day. I took a long keel boat over that only draws 1.4 metres and was asked to position myself very much at the landward end of the visitors pontoon. No problems with sinking into the liquid mud and of course i did CLOSE ALL SEACOCKS.

i arrived 2.5 hours before high water on Thursday and slowly made my way up to the marina and never had less than a metre under my keel.

I have previously taken in a 1.8 metre draft long fin keel and also had no problem with sinking into the mud but am usually more cautious about the time i enter the river Aa at teh entrance. Keep close to teh Eastern breakwater on entering and leaving is the advice in all my books.
    John Apps