Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deck paint

Default deck paint

hi, due to age/wear having to remove a teak deck, I'm thinking of using a non slip deck paint as a replacement.There are so many brands out there, so I ask for informed views from forumites who have tackled this task.She is a GRP yacht.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Default Re: deck paint

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesbreaker View Post
    hi, due to age/wear having to remove a teak deck, I'm thinking of using a non slip deck paint as a replacement.There are so many brands out there, so I ask for informed views from forumites who have tackled this task.She is a GRP yacht.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    I have used International Interdeck, both on my own boat and on a friend's boat. Happy with the results although high traffic areas do wear eventually and it is easily marked stained by spillages etc.

Your choice of brand might be influenced by the colours available If I did mine again I would probably use Hempel rather than International because they have a light grey which i like. My friend was happy with the InterDeck blue I used on his boat , but within reason he would have been happy with any colour that he did not have to apply himself.
    Hempel , I notice, do a navy blue ... but who on earth would want their decks painted dark blue... You not be able to walk on it on a sunny day.

You could also consider a gloss paint and fine sand or even a textured masonry paint such as Sandtex , but it comes in large sizes.
    Last edited by VicS; 26-08-19 at 13:10.

I used Kiwigrip and it has been excellent. Especially good at covering surface imperfections so you need to spend less time preparing.
    Last edited by Poey50; 26-08-19 at 16:20.

I used Jotun Conseal acrylic paint which is available in dozens of colours, is very UV and weather resistant and when teamed up with their anti-slip grit is extremely grippy, though more trawlery than yachtie in its wear and tear on the toes.
    De'il ding a divot auf yer wame wi a flaughter spade

Quote Originally Posted by Poey50 View Post
    I used Kiwigrip and it has been excellent. Especially good at covering surface imperfections so you need to spend less time preparing.
    +1 for kiwigrip, used it when I removed Teak decks a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If I did mine again I would probably use Hempel rather than International because they have a light grey which i like.
    I chose the hempel light grey (with the added non-slip thingies) because it was similar to the rather pleasing deck paint the previous owner of my boat had applied (I suspect professionally sprayed) and which I rather liked. I was pretty pleased with it as my first deck painting effort though 4 years on it's starting to look raggedy around the edges. Top tip: less is more. The worst bits are where I used a brush rather than roller to get under the grab rails and the paint has gone on thicker.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I have done my decks a few years ago with Interdeck and very pleased with the results. Easy to apply, leaves a smooth surface, has good wear resistance (including my Labrador's claws), good grip in the wet and dry. What more do you want?
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Another thumbs up for Interdeck. I made a light grey by mixing their white and grey.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Another thumbs up for Interdeck. I made a light grey by mixing their white and grey.
    I've used Grey Interdeck which is No. 289. Its a very light grey, looks almost white, without mixing with anything.

You must have wanted a very very light grey?
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    ...You could also consider a gloss paint and fine sand or even a textured masonry paint such as Sandtex , but it comes in large sizes.
    Definitely a budget-option worth considering: About three years ago I re-did our decks using a white deck paint bought in a US DIY store - the 'deck' that the paint can's referring to being the wooden/concrete floors of patios, porches and balconies - which only cost about £15 for 4 litres; I increased its 'non-slip' properties by mixing in some fine and well washed white sand picked up off a beach in the USVIs.
    It was easier to apply than Interdeck insofar as it was walking-dry in <18 hours and fully cured in 36 hours and has lasted far better than the Interdeck it replaced too. I do still have about half of it left, but sadly the can's now lost its label so I can't give you a manufacturer; as best I recall it was just a generic brand sold in a Walmart store.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast