Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deck paint

Default Re: deck paint

I plan on ripping my teak off too. Then resin and cloth, some say should put plywood down too? Any thoughts on that please?

Whatever paint one uses, i have found that the non slip additives do not give much grip. For best results apply some bird sand obtainable from a pet store, sprinkled through a flour seive, onto the wet paint. Leave to dry, lightly brush off any sand that has not adhered and then apply another thin coat of paint over that. One may find that it is too grippy so a further coat or a thicker top coat should be used.
    Sailboard makers use sugar on the grp but it is not so effective on yacht decks
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Kiwigrip gets my vote - easy to use, proving hard wearing after 3 years, and very easy to colour to your choice with pigments.

Anybody contemplating removal of a teak deck should look up 'Sail Life' on Youtube- a very thorough vlog of one man's project to restore a Warrior 40. He removed all the teak and applied Kiwi Grip.

I've sen adverts in PBO for 'Gripelast' which looks to be similar to Kiwi Grip but at a lower price. Still waiting for someone else to try it out first. Maybe PBO would like to give it a spin?
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Might be worth a look at Internationals range of non slip garage floor paints, seem to have a wide selection of colours. I remember looking at them when hunting for paint for my little boat, but didnt need 2.l or anywhere near that for her. I did think I would revisit it when painting the longbows decks.

I have used both International and Hempel deck paint. I used International several times on my last boat, and have used Hempel once on the current boat - I have no intention of going back to International. The Hempel paint goes on beautifully with a roller - it takes longer to mask the edges than it does to apply the paint - and the paint in the tin does not require stirring every now and then while doing the painting. The finish is more even than with International, and the paint does what it is supposed to - stop me slipping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12