Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Outboard serial number cannot be found

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    I've acquired a Mariner 5hp. I'd like to download the full operating/servicing manual, but I can't find any visible numbers anywhere, including under the cowl.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner said it's a four-stroke, but I haven't located an oil reservoir under the cowl. Shouldn't the dipstick/oil top-up opening be pretty obvious?

I believe the engine is around fifteen years old - judging by a website I found which dated cowl insignia. Is there likely to be an embossed ID number somewhere, to complement the absent serial number sticker?

My photos aren't great, but possibly there's enough to show folk more knowledgeable than me (everyone) whether it's 2 or 4-stroke.

Its a two stroke, the numbers are usually on a sticker on the casting by the clamps.

Thanks all, especially Vic, those are exactly the kind of things I needed to know.
    Just a long shot but check if the number on the core plug in this picture tallys with the serial number list on the Brunswick marine down load site

I dont think it will confirm that it is a 2 stroke but there's not much doubt about that but it might confirm the year of manufacture if you need to and be useful if ordering parts
    Last edited by VicS; 31-08-19 at 20:55.

Use a TCW3 certified two stroke outboard engine oil. It will easily mix with the petrol. Quicksilver is probably the most readily available.
    Worth pointing out this is a different spec to motorbike 2 stroke or strimmer/lawnmower 2 stroke. Likely only available where boats are... Chandlers etc. Or online.

Lawnmowers are air cooled, your engine is water cooled so runs cooler, hence the different spec oil.

You got a kill cord?

2 stroke much simpler to use that 4stroke... ::Thumbs::

Thanks gents, now that I know the engine is 2-stroke, I'm less concerned about acquiring the service manual. The previous owner said it was professionally serviced last year, and it has barely been started since, so no great hurry or worry, I'm thinking. I was more worried when I believed there was an oil reservoir that might be running low.

I there is a kill-cord - a thing like an old-fashioned telephone cord attached to the motor in a way that keeps a sprung button pulled out. If it were pulled off, the button would be drawn back into the motor, presumably stopping it. I wonder what part of the combustion cycle is halted?

Inside the cowl, I found this ID sticker, but the numbers don't correspond with any listings I've looked at anywhere; and there simply aren't any stickers or embossed numbers near the clamps in the places they normally are.

Thanks gents, now that I know the engine is 2-stroke, I'm less concerned about acquiring the service manual. The previous owner said it was professionally serviced last year, and it has barely been started since, so no great hurry or worry, I'm thinking. I was more worried when I believed there was an oil reservoir that might be running low.

I there is a kill-cord - a thing like an old-fashioned telephone cord attached to the motor in a way that keeps a sprung button pulled out. If it were pulled off, the button would be drawn back into the motor, presumably stopping it. I wonder what part of the combustion cycle is halted?

Inside the cowl, I found this ID sticker, but the numbers don't correspond with any listings I've looked at anywhere; and there simply aren't any stickers or embossed numbers near the clamps in the places they normally are.
    It kills the ignition by grounding the black/yellow wire from the CDI unit

Thanks Vic. Daft of me to ask a question knowing I wasn't likely to understand the answer.

Thanks Vic. Daft of me to ask a question knowing I wasn't likely to understand the answer.
    In simpler terms then. It shorts out the ignition system so that it does not produce any sparks at the plugs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345