Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterline weed

Default Waterline weed

Good day ladies and gents. I have Coppercoated my boat but regardless of burnishing the Coppercoat occasionally I still get waterline weed, can I antifoul on top of the coppercoat down from the waterline about 4 inches. Will it stay on and be effective?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Waterline weed

Either brush it off or go for a good sail. Weed on the waterline won't be stopped by antifoul.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    Either brush it off or go for a good sail. Weed on the waterline won't be stopped by antifoul.
    What MoodySaber says, go sailing.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

If it is just the waterline a quick rub with a scrubbing brush will get rid of it. If it covers the hull lower down then that might need a lift out

I get the same and it get to 8 inches long in as little as 3 weeks. Comes off easily with a stiff brush but copper coat really needs a start of season and a mid season jet wash if you want to keep the hull clean
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

We scrubbed 2 weeks ago and already have a fearsome amount of green waterline weed/beard. CuPro antifoul. I think it's just to be expected at this time of year and in this weather regardless of which antifoul you use.

I've been feeding the weed with Hempel Tiger and had an impressive fringe this week. I had a go at it with a scouring pad on a pole. A brush wouldn't have touched it.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I recollect that the ‘father of modern ecology’ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Evelyn_Hutchinson) once said that ‘life is a function of interfaces’ (I paraphrase) and on waterline fouling I console myself with the thought that he was right.

Same here, a fringe of weed along the waterline. Not due to a lack of sailing, as you might suspect, we have clocked up 2200 nm so far. Last year we had the same, with a similar mileage. Iím beginning to wonder whether the active ingrediŽnt in Micron gets washed out after a certain number of miles. After our trip, when the boat gets used less, the weed starts to grow fast. The rest of the hull only has some slime. Next season the waterline will get an extra layer of AF.

Ooops - just started a similar thread. I have just pressure washed the weed from around my waterline - worked a treat - no scrubbing and no wet and weedy brush to sort out. She was afloat alongside a ponton at the time.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast