Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best way to avoid engine issues when using at low speeds

Slight newbie question. I have 2 x 200hp D3 Volvo pentas and have been given three different theories by different engineers about how to avoid creating engine problems by running at normal river speed limits (which can be reached by running the engines at just above tickover!) . I think this is about avoiding the turbos getting coked up so as to avoid an expensive stripping down of the turbos.

One engineer said to me that running engines for say 20 seconds at 2,000 rpm would suffice. Another said just "blipping" each engine in turn to 2,000 rpm would suffice. A third said I should turn one engine off and run for an extended period (hour or two) on the other engine (swapping to the other engine from time to time).

I'd be interested to hear views from others on this potentially expensive issue.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Default Re: Best way to avoid engine issues when using at low speeds

Doesn't sound like you spoke to any engineers at all judging by that advice
    Loads of silly myths about this sort of thing and no doubt there will be some more posted here shortly, my advice would be just to get on and use it for now. There is no definitive way to prevent these things except a good blast out to sea whenever you can.
    Just blipping it to 2000rpm will be pointless as without any load there will in sufficent load and boost, did they mean whilst underway?
    You could remove the air filter reguarly and check the turbo spins freely if you want to some reassurance, early D3's are notiorius for turbo issues regardless of use, latest ones better I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    Just blipping it to 2000rpm will be pointless as without any load there will in sufficent load and boost, did they mean whilst underway?
    They meant blipping whilst underway. Engineer who recommended that was with me on the boat at the time and said it was sufficient to blow out any crud.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    They meant blipping whilst underway. Engineer who recommended that was with me on the boat at the time and said it was sufficient to blow out any crud.
    Ok, more sensible. I used to do this a couple of times a year on a quiet bit of river, just one engine at a time until I heard the turbos whistle. Not sure it really does any good but you feel like you have done something, I don't bother anymore and the turbos are fine.

Yes there is a kind of whistle at around 2,000 rpm.

Funnily enough after I did that last time, an engine which had been producing some exhaust smoke, stopped producing any smoke at all so I concluded there had been some benefit.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    my advice would be just to get on and use it for now. There is no definitive way to prevent these things except a good blast out to sea whenever you can.

+1.
    It really would benefit from a good hard hot run at some point in the season
    Join one of the many clubs and come out down through Teddington to Burnham/ Ramsgate/ Rochester for a weekend.
    Will achieve everything the engines need.
    Chum had a Brava 37 based in Bray, opened it up in Sea Reach, the black smoke that came out for about half a mile was impressive to say the least.
    Last edited by oldgit; 27-08-19 at 15:37.

Thanks. I'm based on the Severn. My marina did have one trip out to sea organised for June but was cancelled by the floods.
    Last edited by philipm; 27-08-19 at 15:47.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks. I'm based on the Severn. My marina did have one trip out to sea organised for June but was cancelled by the floods.
    Sorry mea culpa...assumed you boated in the La La Land above Teddington, did not realise you boated in the real world.

No idea if it really helps but we have had various motor cruisers with twin 250 to 300 hp engines, all based on Upper Thames.
    Always used one engine in between locks.
    At end of cruise did two circles, one left and other right. Wheel hard over and shove each throttle in turn to max’.
    Tight circle.
    No wash.
    Wait for Turbo whine.
    Never had smoke and no problems when in tidal waters.

The answer is to buy sea going boats for use at sea and river going boats for use on the river. The upper Thames is full of white boats that will never go anywhere near salt water all with massive engines they will never fully use.
    Horses for courses.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast