Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Best way to avoid engine issues when using at low speeds

Quote Originally Posted by AuntyRinum View Post
    The answer is to buy sea going boats for use at sea and river going boats for use on the river. The upper Thames is full of white boats that will never go anywhere near salt water all with massive engines they will never fully use.
    Horses for courses.
    Our plan is to move the boat to the coast but wanted to have a season or two getting to know the boat on the river which is relatively near where we live. Hence needed a boat that can do one job (river) followed by another job (sea).
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by miket View Post
    No idea if it really helps but we have had various motor cruisers with twin 250 to 300 hp engines, all based on Upper Thames.
    Always used one engine in between locks.
    At end of cruise did two circles, one left and other right. Wheel hard over and shove each throttle in turn to max’.
    Tight circle.
    No wash.
    Wait for Turbo whine.
    Never had smoke and no problems when in tidal waters.
    Thanks. Good info. One of our engines works the power steering so I guess would have to have it running at all times although would be in neutral for half of that time when it's not its "turn".
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks. Good info. One of our engines works the power steering so I guess would have to have it running at all times although would be in neutral for half of that time when it's not its "turn".
    I assume you have an outdrive boat and the above advice for the blipping at full lock was really for a shaft driven boat, so I'd be a bit wary of giving it full throttle at full lock, the UJ's might not like it and you may get a bit of a wild ride

I'm glad you mentioned that Chris because I was having the same thoughts - albeit I've never hit full throttle when on full lock! Yes, mine are outdrives.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Not tried this with outdrives but perhaps temper the helm hard over bit and def’ leave other engine in neutral for power steering.

Thanks miket
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    They meant blipping whilst underway. Engineer who recommended that was with me on the boat at the time and said it was sufficient to blow out any crud.
    Iíve got a pair of 350 Yanmars and thatís what the owners manual recommends.

The answer is to buy sea going boats for use at sea and river going boats for use on the river. The upper Thames is full of white boats that will never go anywhere near salt water all with massive engines they will never fully use.
    Horses for courses.
    +1 And don't forget the radar cans and GPS antenna. They are a must for the non tidal Thames.
    Last edited by Big John; 01-09-19 at 08:18.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

Horses for courses.
    What a lot of twaddle. Just cos you dont see them offshore don't mean they don't go.
    Total over generalisation...

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    What a lot of twaddle. Just cos you dont see them offshore don't mean they don't go.
    Total over generalisation...
    But they spend most of their time on the non tidal river puffing great black smoke screens especially when they start up in a lock chamber.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast