Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possible shift of channel at Stone Point?

I passed through the Stone Point channel twice each way over the weekend, on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25. On Saturday, it was close to low water; I draw 1.6 metres. I was following two other vessels, both of which grounded near buoy 14. One, a smaller yacht, grounded just north of buoy 14 (outside the channel), but the other vessel which I was following grounded in the channel immediately south of buoy 14. I found more water passing south of the grounded vessel (at least 2 metres), and he was able to get off in that direction too; the smaller vessel outside the channel also managed to get off.. It always used to be safe to "buoy hop" at Stone Point, but it looks very much as if it is now necessary to pass buoy 14 well south of the buoy - at least a boat length, perhaps more.

Default Re: Possible shift of channel at Stone Point?

That does seem to be the shallowest part of the channel. I wonder whether the tide was perhaps ebbing and the buoy's position further north than charted?
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Hi AP

Glad you posted this as we also had a close call on Monday coming in 2 hours after low water. We experienced a drop in depth just before red marker buoy 6 heading to Stone Point from 4.1 metres to 0.2 meters. There was also another drop in depth between reds 6 and 8 very sharply from 4.2 to 0.2.
    Spoke with a chap on another yacht we passed and he had the same thing so It wasn't an instrument problem. In fact I think he said he had dragged because it looked as though he had stopped. The sudden drops in depth were localised to about two meters in length on both occasions.

Both of us were well in the channel and very much over to the correct side of the buoys. Not sure if there are any obstructions in this area that have suddenly appeared but would be interesting to hear if any one else has noticed a reduction in depths around these buoys.

We came out on Sunday just after LW. There was a yacht grounded in the area 10/12/14. To me it seemed it was outside the line as though had tried to go from 10 to 14 without rounding 12.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    We came out on Sunday just after LW. There was a yacht grounded in the area 10/12/14. To me it seemed it was outside the line as though had tried to go from 10 to 14 without rounding 12.
    We came out about an hour before LW. You are correct, he was outside the line and had tried to avoid 12
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Going direct from 14 to 10 has to be the commonest reason to go aground in that area, seen boats there many times over the years. We came out this morning around HW, kept pretty close to all the buoys, and the least depths were around the 14, 12, 14. Depth sounder showed about 3.3 metres so about 4.2 depth. Further in there seemed to be 0.5 to 1.0 meter more.

On a related matter, I notice that the W&FYC chartlet gives lowest chartum datum around 1.1 M in the Stone Point Channel. My boat draws 1.1 M. So is 1 hour either side of LT about right for a safe entry / departure (if perhaps a bit simplistic)? Also if I want to enter the little anchorage to the NE is it best to turn just South of bouy 16? Apologies, another question - what about depths from Pye End to the channel in relation to tide heights?

I haven't used that anchorage but I usually work on Pye End to the channel being at 0.9m at datum.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    We came out about an hour before LW. You are correct, he was outside the line and had tried to avoid 12
    I think this boat belongs to a friend of mine. A Legend (the boat, not the friend ) Did anyone get a pic of it aground ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    I think this boat belongs to a friend of mine. A Legend (the boat, not the friend ) Did anyone get a pic of it aground ?
    I didn't, sorry
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast