Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Possible shift of channel at Stone Point?

Over the weekend, the tidal height at low water should have been 1.3 metres - in other words, there should have been ample depth for me (1.6 m draft) even at low water to get through the channel. When I went through, the tide was still ebbing, with perhaps an hour to go, so there should have been more than 2.5 metres everywhere along the channel (the 2019 chartlet gives a least depth of about 1.2 m at chart datum). There wasn't - it was down to 1.6 m in places, implying a depth of 0.3 m above datum. I'm quite sure of the setting of my depth sounder - I go aground when it reads 0, and I draw 1.6 m!

When I came from the Clyde I never thought I'd refer to a depth of 2.5 metres as ample!

When considering tides in the Walton Backwaters, atmospheric pressure and wind direction & strength can make a big difference.

Then there is the possibility of a North Sea Surge to take into account.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    When considering tides in the Walton Backwaters, atmospheric pressure and wind direction & strength can make a big difference.

Then there is the possibility of a North Sea Surge to take into account.
    Yes, I did wonder if that was the case. Wind direction and strength weren't an issue last weekend - the winds were very light - but the prevailing high pressure might have reduced depths somewhat. However, FrankSingleton's web pages (http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...sure-And-Tides) suggest that the maximum expected change would be around 0.3 m, less than the observed discrepancies.

Surge levels were negligible at Harwich and Walton on Sunday morning - I was monitoring them to ensure that we didn't get stuck going between Honey Island and Horsey Island on the ebb.

You can check the current and very recent state of surge on the Harwich Harbour Authority website. It has reporting stations at Harwich, Felixstowe, Approach and Mistley:

https://hha.co.uk/live-data/tide/

My #12 was a general observation - not specific to last weekend.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Sat on the beach this afternoon facing Harwich, 2.5hrs after HW. Just as we got there, two boats came in very slowly and cautiously. However, one following the other, they went the wrong side on green buoy No. 9. Luckily both were OK. However, in the position we were, it did seem more obvious how incoming boats do miss red buoy No. 12, it's almost as though it's part of a route into Hamford Water, and wonder if another couple of red buoys would make the route in more obvious to visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Sat on the beach this afternoon facing Harwich, 2.5hrs after HW. Just as we got there, two boats came in very slowly and cautiously. However, one following the other, they went the wrong side on green buoy No. 9. Luckily both were OK. However, in the position we were, it did seem more obvious how incoming boats do miss red buoy No. 12, it's almost as though it's part of a route into Hamford Water, and wonder if another couple of red buoys would make the route in more obvious to visitors.
    Yes, I've noticed people not following the buoyed channel, too. In fact one of the boats in my initial post was outside the channel, having gone north of No. 14, and the following day I saw someone cutting corners, though as the tide was higher, they got away with it! I don't really see how more buoys would help, though - they are very closely spaced anyway. I think clearer naming of the existing buoys might help (naming them in relation to the channel rather than to obscure sea-bed features), and perhaps an extra cardinal buoy at the eastern side of the passage? The Island Point Buoy doesn't really help much in delineating the channel; it is in deep water all round and its purpose isn't clear!A green buoy opposite no 12 and moving Island Point south to actually mark the northern point of the shallow water might help, but it really does depend on the intent of the people managing the buoyage.

The buoyage is actually quite clear as long as you have the chartlet to hand, but I agree that without it it is very confusing unlesss you have a good spatial awareness. And unfortunately, the navigable water is quite narrow at that point!
    Last edited by AntarcticPilot; 30-08-19 at 09:39.

I wouldn't have thought that renaming the buoys would help those who have difficulty in remembering which side to pass a red/green buoy. I see a lot of boats passing the wrong side of the buoys and tend to assume that they are shallow draft and have made a reasonable assessment that they don't need to do all the channel's wiggles, which for the most part is true.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Perhaps one of the Harwich Pilots could be called upon to provide assistance for the nervous ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast