Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIS transmitter

Default AIS transmitter

We have a VHF with AIS reciever which is linked to our chartplotter.

I would like to transmit our position so can I get a transmitter
    only or are they all transponders?

Default Re: AIS transmitter

Never heard of a transmit only system. AFIIK you need to buy an ais system with both a transmit (Tx) and a recieve facility and connect it to an aerial.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

All TX/RX but it doesn't matter you just have redundancy. I can recommend the AMEC 108s. Cheap as chips for combined AIS and splitter and works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    I can recommend the AMEC 108s. Cheap as chips for combined AIS and splitter and works perfectly.
    I think the em-trak B100 and splitter is much better value for money at around £465.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I think the em-trak B100 and splitter is much better value for money at around £465.
    +1 The Em-trak is a great bit of kit.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

If you use CPA alarms and the like, ascertain the receiver can filter its own Mmsi sentences otherwise the alarms become useless.
    I find it useful to have both, a receiver on one side and the transceiver on the other: with heavy traffic one has a quick idea of the delays one's position sent to others is subject to.

I just got a boat with a missing VHF, since ill be sailing in and out of the port of Rotterdam I was thinking of getting the new B&G V60-B that has TX/RX built in, does anyone else have experience with this one or is it better to get separate units?

Quote Originally Posted by Matwill View Post
    I just got a boat with a missing VHF, since ill be sailing in and out of the port of Rotterdam I was thinking of getting the new B&G V60-B that has TX/RX built in, does anyone else have experience with this one or is it better to get separate units?

I think it's maybe too new to find anyone who is using one. There was a similar product announced about 4 or 5 years ago (Standard Horizon? Can't remember) but it never materialised, certainly in the UK. I got fed up waiting and bought a Vesper 850 Watchmate linked to an Icom VHF. This achieves the same thing but needs an extra aerial (not always a bad thing, useful back up) and of course is more effort to set up.

I am not sure what I would do now, the Vesper screen is nice to have but the ease of just dropping in the B & G would be tempting. I see Cactus have the V60B for £900 which would be less than my set up.

Cheapest transponder on the market is Matsutec HA102 at about £200-£250.

Quote Originally Posted by Matwill View Post
    While a combined unit has great advantages at the installation stage, I would prefer to have separate units in the event of a breakdown. Also my preference would be for a separate antenna on the pushpit, with its advantages in the event of a rig failure, rather than using a splitter on the masthead antenna, which has its own inherent disadvantages, particularly in a busy area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast