Default Mending an ancient Autohelm 1000

Probably 40 years old and it blew the fuse at the main panel. Nothing wrong with the wiring to the deck socket so it had to be the autohelm. Raymarine advised a new one would be approaching £500. But knowing that anything electronic is unintelligible I nevertheless managed to remove the eight screws to separate the body and the answer was obvious. The cable had dragged sufficiently to pull the two wires from the printed circuit board. All I had to do was push them back onto their tags again, put in a bit of insulting tape to keep them apart and add a cable tie to stop it happening again. Just occasionally money is not the answer. I'm only posting this tale because I'm so pleased with myself!

Default Re: Mending an ancient Autohelm 1000

Fantastic. I'm never that lucky 😃

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by richardabeattie View Post
    Probably 40 years old and it blew the fuse at the main panel. Nothing wrong with the wiring to the deck socket so it had to be the autohelm. Raymarine advised a new one would be approaching £500. But knowing that anything electronic is unintelligible I nevertheless managed to remove the eight screws to separate the body and the answer was obvious. The cable had dragged sufficiently to pull the two wires from the printed circuit board. All I had to do was push them back onto their tags again, put in a bit of insulting tape to keep them apart and add a cable tie to stop it happening again. Just occasionally money is not the answer. I'm only posting this tale because I'm so pleased with myself!
    ��
    Supposed to be a thumbs up