Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Channel visibility

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Quite rightly so. I've had a crossing experience similar to Tomahawk's that I certainly would not wish to repeat. If you can delay your return it is much more likely to be a pleasant (and safe) experience.
    +1, if at all poss wait a bit, it's meant to be fun not so terrifying your crew never goes again - and that isn't the worst possible outcome...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Might be worth a look at met office website showing satellite picture - possibly get a clue from that.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...ime=1566978900 try this

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Quite rightly so. I've had a crossing experience similar to Tomahawk's that I certainly would not wish to repeat. If you can delay your return it is much more likely to be a pleasant (and safe) experience.
    +1 we still remember our aborted in the end attempt with fog mid channel when we were in our mid/late 20's . horrible and stays with you!

Quote Originally Posted by misterjenkins View Post
    We've just crossed to Cherbourg for the first time and are now planning our trip back. Visibility in the channel has been poor to patchy over the last few days. We were planning to go tomorrow, but the forecast for visibility is moderate, occasionally very poor. Can anyone recommend more detailed or more than 24hr visibility forecasts?
    Its the season for fog/mist & mellow fruitfulness, so suggest you leave the boat there & catch a ferry.
    Why risk your nerves/life/enjoyment just to rush back for the 9-5 grind, you are only indispensible to your family.

Thanks for all the advice. The crossing back was perfect. We could see the Isle of White from about 25 miles out, so visibility was not a problem in the end.

A little encouragement. Captain Tony Starling Lark is or was a channel pilot. He said he had been on the bridge of a ship at fifteen knots, with ships either side in the Dover Calais TSS, and he couldn't see half way to the bow. He said to the master "we really should slow down", the master replied "We should, but if we do we'll miss our slot in Rotterdam, I'll never work for this company again and neither will you".

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Might be worth a look at met office website showing satellite picture - possibly get a clue from that.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...ime=1566978900 try this

Windy.com has sat images as well, plus fog forecast >>

https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-sat...1.798,-8.234,8
    https://www.windy.com/-Fog-fog?fog,41.798,-8.234,8

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    A little encouragement. Captain Tony Starling Lark is or was a channel pilot. He said he had been on the bridge of a ship at fifteen knots, with ships either side in the Dover Calais TSS, and he couldn't see half way to the bow. He said to the master "we really should slow down", the master replied "We should, but if we do we'll miss our slot in Rotterdam, I'll never work for this company again and neither will you".
    It must have been thick fog then, cos the track from Dover to Rotterdam would take them east ofthe TSS.

Didn’t suggest they left Dover, I’ll leave you to work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Passageweather is not giving anything much, perhaps a little rain later in the day. It depends somewhat on how confident you are and what equipment you have. With radar and AIS, I don't think I would have any concerns. With AIS alone, this would depend on the experience of those on board. I have crossed without either many times, but only once with fog forecast. I was much younger then and it wasn't much fun. I think that you perhaps need to check several sources. It is sometimes easy to get scared off unnecessarily, but it also depends on the outlook later. Thursday and Friday are looking OK, but not Saturday.
    A minor and more general point.... I would guard against seeking out other sources of weather forecast to satisfy yourself it is OK to go. Your first source gave you cause for concern. It is likely you went somewhere you trust for your first forecast. If every other source said there was no risk of fog what would your assessment be? Mine would be that was still a chance of fog.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast