Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Channel visibility

In this situation we were very aware of the risks of looking for a forecast that would justify deciding to go.

What we were looking for was two things: first, a forecast for longer than 24hrs ( so we might decide if the situation was improving or worsening ), second, a forecast with better resolution that would help us interpret the shipping forecast's sightly vague forecast of 'fog patches' .

We found both of these and planned accordingly, very consciously never making a decision that ignored any of the data we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    A minor and more general point.... I would guard against seeking out other sources of weather forecast to satisfy yourself it is OK to go. Your first source gave you cause for concern. It is likely you went somewhere you trust for your first forecast. If every other source said there was no risk of fog what would your assessment be? Mine would be that was still a chance of fog.
    OP's and my points of view were different. I didn't actually know what his source was, and it was very different from a source that I respect. It may have been a rumour picked up at the harbour office, and it looked as if he hadn't sourced the usual weather sites. He was asking for advice, which was inevitably going to cause confusion. In the end, he probably made a judgement based on a number of sources, and at least he got home and enjoyed himself, which is probably a good thing all round.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    OP's and my points of view were different. I didn't actually know what his source was, and it was very different from a source that I respect. It may have been a rumour picked up at the harbour office, and it looked as if he hadn't sourced the usual weather sites. He was asking for advice, which was inevitably going to cause confusion. In the end, he probably made a judgement based on a number of sources, and at least he got home and enjoyed himself, which is probably a good thing all round.
    "probably"?

6I have a page on fog at http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...-Forms-And-Why that may help understanding. Fog is particularly difficult because of its often susceptibility to local effects. It is extremely difficult to be precise and it would be misleading if forecasters tried to be so. Inevitably. They have to use words like “moderat4, locally poor with fog patches.”

I would not trust forecasts of fog direct from computer models. I doubt the value of satellite images. Be wary whenever a forecast has words like “moderate locally poor.” Looking at actual reports may help.

After my first Channel crossing as skipper in a yacht with no radar, we bought a radar the next day. I would not like to be without it now. Nor would I be without AIS Class B. Remember that these are aids only.. Some large vessels, eg warships and customs cutters may not be operating their AIS. Nor might fishing boats. Some vessels, eg minesweepers may not show well on radar.
    Last edited by franksingleton; 07-09-19 at 13:32.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    I doubt the value of satellite images.
    Another plus for windy.com, not only the forecast & sat images but links to the local web cams as well

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Another plus for windy.com, not only the forecast & sat images but links to the local web cams as well

Indeed, but I would not place too much reliance on computer forecasts of fog. Also, fog can be more localised. Last year, we had a nasty experience when fog was not forecast although visibility was expected to be poor, ie >1000 metres, in precipitation. We had poor vis from Ile de Batz westwards but it thickened to fog ie <1000 metres and down to less than 50 m by we were at the Libenter WCM. Webcams only tell you what is happening at a few locations and not what will happen where you are. Useful but only extra information. Not a predictor.

As ever with weather, I am trying to be realistic.

In addition to the mast radar reflector I alway rig an extra (octahedral) reflector on the backstay when crossing shipping lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by yerffoeg View Post
    In addition to the mast radar reflector I alway rig an extra (octahedral) reflector on the backstay when crossing shipping lanes.
    I switch on my SeaMe.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I switch on my SeaMe.
    I switch on my engine, for the reassurance of better manouverability & extra speed if neccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    I switch on my engine, for the reassurance of better manouverability & extra speed if neccesary.
    I switch on the engine to drown out all that irritating honking and hooting going on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast