Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home: Saffron Walden... boatless
    Posts
    2,430

    Default Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Well, as we've now taken an unconditional deposit on the sale of our yacht, with completion expected next week, I'm now thinking about how we take this forward.

    Soon, I'd like to organise some practical training on a planing mobo, covering both crew and helm to update our skills on boat handling, berthing, lines, matching speed to conditions, etc from the power perspective. Appreciate that shafts, outdrives, IPS etc all differ that's going to be a compromise.

    I can find some RYA courses but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Example here from Mendez who I know is well regarded, but these seem to assume you have motor boat handling skills already. I'll call them tomorrow I think.
    https://www.mendezmarine.co.uk/cours...on-sail-power/

    I'd like the session to end up with (a) confidence for us both and (b) a recognised qualification / certification (eg ICC Power might be adequate).

    So I'm looking for suggestions. Ideas welcome.
    Last edited by Scala; 27-08-19 at 22:39.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    When we purchased are current boat we had Martin Payne on the delivery trip and he showed us how to drive the boat, A very usefully few hours, for this particular type of boat, I would also go for own boat tuition as it gets you used to how they "Actually" handle,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Well, as we've now taken an unconditional deposit on the sale of our yacht, with completion expected next week, I'm now thinking about how we take this forward.

    Soon, I'd like to organise some practical training on a planing mobo, covering both crew and helm to update our skills on boat handling, berthing, lines, matching speed to conditions, etc from the power perspective. Appreciate that shafts, outdrives, IPS etc all differ that's a going to be compromise.

    I can find some RYA courses but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Example here from Mendez who I know is well regarded, but these seem to assume you have motor boat handling skills already. I'll call them tomorrow I think.
    https://www.mendezmarine.co.uk/cours...on-sail-power/

    I'd like the session to end up with (a) confidence for us both and (b) a recognised qualification / certification (eg ICC Power might be adequate).

    So I'm looking for suggestions. Ideas welcome.
    Do you already have any qualifications?
    If it just MOBO. handling there are many you can give you that but for a qualification you need to go to an RYA school.
    If not using a school at least get someone qualified to teach as I have found many who think practice makes perfect. It doesn’t, it makes permanent, correct practice makes perfect. You can go for Joe Bloggs down the pub who has done a lot of boat handling or an instructor through a school who has done a lot of teaching.
    In addition to Mendez, look up Marine Matters at Warsash, another quality school.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home: Saffron Walden... boatless
    Posts
    2,430

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Do you already have any qualifications?
    If it just MOBO. handling there are many you can give you that but for a qualification you need to go to an RYA school.
    If not using a school at least get someone qualified to teach as I have found many who think practice makes perfect. It doesn’t, it makes permanent, correct practice makes perfect. You can go for Joe Bloggs down the pub who has done a lot of boat handling or an instructor through a school who has done a lot of teaching.
    In addition to Mendez, look up Marine Matters at Warsash, another quality school.
    Exactly so, I've been sailing for decades but will be new to mobo, so I want "correct practice" - at least the chance to understand it and adapt.

    RYA wise, I have Day Skipper sail practical, Yachtmaster Offshore theory and the VHF SRC. Also have the sail ICC but that's a given really. Mrs Scala has what she describes "Incompetent Crew (Sail)" so we're starting from a basis of some competence in boat handling, decent nav and passage planning, Colregs etc (been reading that thread )
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home: Saffron Walden... boatless
    Posts
    2,430

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian h View Post
    When we purchased are current boat we had Martin Payne on the delivery trip and he showed us how to drive the boat, A very usefully few hours, for this particular type of boat, I would also go for own boat tuition as it gets you used to how they "Actually" handle,
    Own boat tuition - yes of course, we'll definitely do that, was invaluable on our current one, but no "own mobo" at the moment. HJoping to fill the gap this autumn with some training.

    If I talk to Martin he'll sell me a Hunton. And there are two on his website for silly cheap money at the monent so it's a serious risk....!
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Exactly so, I've been sailing for decades but will be new to mobo, so I want "correct practice" - at least the chance to understand it and adapt.

    RYA wise, I have Day Skipper sail practical, Yachtmaster Offshore theory and the VHF SRC. Also have the sail ICC but that's a given really. Mrs Scala has what she describes "Incompetent Crew (Sail)" so we're starting from a basis of some competence in boat handling, decent nav and passage planning, Colregs etc (been reading that thread )
    Good ho.
    Talk to the schools. Not sure of the current RYA requirements
    I would aim for a couple of days practical conversion to Power day skipper and just for those 2 days if just you and the missus, aim at getting her more proficient at the boat handling. Any decent instructor can teach at the two different levels.

    An alternative could be to find a school which could give you the Coastal skipper power. That is now a 6 day course but you have the pre requisite of yachtmaster theory (used to be call coastal theory)
    Last edited by Rocksteadee; 27-08-19 at 22:58.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    A school I had used in Chatham quoted me a week to convert yachtmaster offshore power to sail was a week of boat handling. However the other way round was just a couple of days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,500

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    I'd wait untill you've got the new boat then book Mendez for a day or two to cover whatever you need help with. Perhaps structure it around an ICC syllabus? IMO, anything in the meantime on another boat is a bit of a waste of time and money.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home: Saffron Walden... boatless
    Posts
    2,430

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    Well I was wondering about that, booking some "Own boat" is a given anyway.. I guess I want to get started...

    Any time on the water is welcome
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: Sail to power "conversion" training / familiarisation

    I don't normally read the Mobo forum but this popped up on "new posts". The one thing that surprised me when I (fairly experienced in sailing yachts) got brought in as navigator on a fast powerboat chartered by a film crew was that you really had to preplan navigation. I was accustomed to sailing, where you couldn't just go in straight lines, and you were usually doing under 6 knots, and you'd plot new courses as and when you had to tack (or change your mind about where you were going entirely). At 40 knots in tricky waters you totally need to have it all ready to follow on paper.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to