Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What batteries are my two volt meters measuring?

I have two battery volt meters visible on the cockpit dashboard. I recall the salesman saying one was for the starboard engine battery and one for the port engine battery. Fine.

However I notice when I use the bow thruster that one of the volt meters gets depleted temporarily. I would have thought that the bow thruster would run off the domestic batteries? If true, that means one of these volt meters is for the domestic batteries, not the engines. It would make sense to know what condition the domestic batteries are in after all.

Any view on whether the salesman was right or wrong?
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Default Re: What batteries are my two volt meters measuring?

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    I have two battery volt meters visible on the cockpit dashboard. I recall the salesman saying one was for the starboard engine battery and one for the port engine battery. Fine.

However I notice when I use the bow thruster that one of the volt meters gets depleted temporarily. I would have thought that the bow thruster would run off the domestic batteries? If true, that means one of these volt meters is for the domestic batteries, not the engines. It would make sense to know what condition the domestic batteries are in after all.

Either, each meter is for port and starboard bank or each meter for start and domestic banks, depending on your wiring.

feasibly the bow thruster is from the start bank, on the grounds that you would probably not be using bow thruster without the engines running.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Either, each meter is for port and starboard bank or each meter for start and domestic banks, depending on your wiring.

feasibly the bow thruster is from the start bank, on the grounds that you would probably not be using bow thruster without the engines running.
    The only thing normally connected to the start batteries will be a starter motor. ?
    Everything else usually is powered from domestics.
    On modern craft the bow thruster frequently has its own remote battery.
    Two meters normally measure either the domestic or starter battery alone.
    Some boats only have one battery condition meter which can be switched between both banks
    Some boats do have a method of using all batteries at once to get boat started, usually because the battery used to start engines is not holding sufficient charge. ie its knackered.

If you could say what make and model of boat you have it may help if the owner of a similar boat is reading this.
    My boat has a dedicated battery for the bow thruster and anchor winch.
    Others may use the domestic bank but a starter type battery is better suited to a bow thruster.

Thanks all. Seems like I'd need to be an electrician to establish which meter measures which batteries.

I have 4 batteries in total - two which sit together and I'm sure are for domestic use (because one failed a while ago and I had no lights etc) and two separate batteries, one of which sits in the engine bay and the other sits close to the above domestic batteries.

Boat is a 2010 Jeanneau Leader 9.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

if the voltage drops when you run the thurster that is likely a battery which supplies the thurster

you could employ and electrician, or get a voltmeter, and sort out yourself what is going on, start a seperate thread for this, plenty of help out on this forum

Sounds like the thruster is run from one of the start batteries. Your dash instruments should read engine batteries and reading will indicate if alternators are charging or not (keeping an eye on the volt guages is a good way of knowing if you have lost a fan belt & possibly avoiding an overheat)
    Potentially nothing wrong with the system its just a different way of doing things. If you dont like it no doubt you could change it to your prefered system but in my opinion if it aint broke don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    if the voltage drops when you run the thurster that is likely a battery which supplies the thurster

you could employ and electrician, or get a voltmeter, and sort out yourself what is going on, start a seperate thread for this, plenty of help out on this forum
    Or turn off all batteries,( isolators ) turn one on and see what works, cabin lights engine start, what does a voltmeter do, turn off and repeat for next battery, and so. Would have thought bow thruster on a engine battery would be likely as they would be with the engine running.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Thanks all. Seems like I'd need to be an electrician to establish which meter measures which batteries.

I have 4 batteries in total - two which sit together and I'm sure are for domestic use (because one failed a while ago and I had no lights etc) and two separate batteries, one of which sits in the engine bay and the other sits close to the above domestic batteries.

Boat is a 2010 Jeanneau Leader 9.
    Just isolate or disconnect for a few seconds and you will know which is which.
    PRINCESS 45

Thanks all, the isolation strategy seems the most straightforward. I will look into it.

Seems odd to me that a meter showing domestic battery voltage is not included as standard - it may be in this case, we shall see.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast