Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What would you have said or done?

I cannot understand why anyone would not use their holding tank. I am aware many sailing boats don’t have them which I find incomprehensible.

I would have given them what for.

Some boats in Cala Dor never move and you know they discharge at night - and can smell it.

We can last for 3 days with a full boat and a week with 2 on board and just head off for a short cruise if needed to dump

Disgusting Rafters. I would name and shame

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Well during my service sewage treatment plants were the norm but my first ship was the Rusty B with direct discharge overboard from the nearest point in the hull to the heads so it came from all directions! Side party could be very unpleasant ....or funny depending upon whether it was you or your oppo who ended up wearing a not so funny hat!

On the OP’s original question I think I would have said something and I am certain that if I didn’t SWMBO would have!
    I had supposed that modern warships used treatment plants and thank you for confirming it.

During my service ( which was a very long time ago!) sewage went straight into the sea even when in port! No thought was given to it. I can remember swimming and canoeing in Grand Harbour. Malta, when the Med fleet was in but I must have been lucky and avoided contact.

My first ship, Gambia had, I think, around 800 men in her and my second, Victorious, more than 2,000. My last ship (submarine), Renown, had holding tanks and sewage was discharged at night. That was not done for ecological reasons but to help avoid detection.

Although sewage in the water is horrible to encounter, I think plastic and chemicals are a far worse menace to mankind, in the long term.
    Last edited by Poignard; 29-08-19 at 07:07.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

its about time the medical scientist came up with a more acceptable system for the body to dispose of its waste! Are there any studies to this end? A sure way of helping to save the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I cannot understand why anyone would not use their holding tank. I am aware many sailing boats don’t have them which I find incomprehensible.
    Me too .
    Interestingly my mate I mentioned on the other thread that chartered a 54 ft sail boat for 6 .
    Him + wife+ his 2 kids ( @ uni ) a boy + girl who brought partners so 6 adults really .two of which he did not really know and it was there 1 st time on a boat .

It’s a bit late arriving to find the toilet cocks permanently fixed to sea on the hand over .
    Any how he realised the implications and was disgusted particularly in the first few days of flotilla sailing .

Swimming in everybody’s 5hit in waking up in clearwater anchorages .

Second year different Co he specifically enquired about this issue , wanting a bigger yacht for 8 adults and was reassured.
    Arrived to find the same but with an extra added twist of no paper down the straight to sea bogs ......put it in a bag by the big - wife thought urgh ! Big time .

That’s how some disguise what they are doing , I guess without paper it’s less visible ? - still smells though.

Third year ........ packed it in can’t be arsed for want of a better word re searching for a Co that hires boats with a fully functioning holding tank system.

They live in Venice so mindful of these issues and would like to there bit .

We recently spent 3 days in Bembridge on our new boat and I hoped not to use the loo for anything other than pee in the harbour as we have no holding tank.

Of course when a 3 year old needs a poo the pontoon looks like a long walk.

For exactly this reason I plan to fit a black water tank.

Now back in Dartmouth and the offending vessel has just been towed past us with engine problems!

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Now back in Dartmouth and the offending vessel has just been towed past us with engine problems!
    Did you ram a spud up his exhaust pipe, then? By which I mean the boat's exhaust pipe, although in the circumstances ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Did you ram a spud up his exhaust pipe, then? By which I mean the boat's exhaust pipe, although in the circumstances ...
    hahaha +1

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Just a big log............

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Natural justice is served then! Not often that happens

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast