Default NAVTEX - help please

We are in La Rochelle and just about to head off across.the "Bay" tomorrow. I would love to get my Navtex working but it has been struck dumb since leaving North Brittany. It has tortuous settings and the manual is awful (It is a McMurdo ICS NAV6 navtex). Can anyone tell me what transmitters I should have listed for West France/Northern Spain. I have checked Frank's website but can't see the area listed. Plenty around UK but none here. It was working fine in the Channel but I guess it is just a transmitter I need to add. I have other weather apps but would like something that will work offshore.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Re: NAVTEX - help please

France is A and E
    Spain Coruna is D and W
    respectively 518 and 490kHz , the second is in National language, both French and Spanish very readable.
    Funny propagation these days, I am also receiving Croatian and Italian navtex stations, oh and Spanish MRCC all ships calls on vhf (300M+ distance)

Quote Originally Posted by robertager1962 View Post
    We are in La Rochelle and just about to head off across.the "Bay" tomorrow. I would love to get my Navtex working but it has been struck dumb since leaving North Brittany. It has tortuous settings and the manual is awful (It is a McMurdo ICS NAV6 navtex). Can anyone tell me what transmitters I should have listed for West France/Northern Spain. I have checked Frank's website but can't see the area listed. Plenty around UK but none here. It was working fine in the Channel but I guess it is just a transmitter I need to add. I have other weather apps but would like something that will work offshore.
    I'd agree about the tortuous settings, I find 'programming' the Nav6 to be 'backwards' in that the menus dont relate to whats in front of you. Roberto has given the stations you'll need, turn those on and maybe adjust the range of msgs being received and you should be set. In principle Navtex range is about 400 Nm but, given the frequencies it operates on, it is susceptible to atmospherics which can enhance or limit range, its usually enhanced at night - I regularly got a Caribbean station going down the Portuguese coast at night.
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Also, if you have a MF radio, you may try
    1677-1707kHz Bilbao
    1698-1764kHz Coruna
    they broadcast offshore voice bulletins at 0703-1303-1903UTC.
    Frequencies are a bit outside the general broadcasting AM frequency band, so available only to radios with wider receiving range.

Thanks to you all for replying. I had no luck I am afraid and need to check if it is an antenna problem. I will have a good play en route to Bilbao.