Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

Sunday morning we were anchored at the top of Stangate creek round the corner before you turn up to Lower Halstow creek, slightly south of the middle of the creek. On trying to get our anchor up found it well & truly stuck.
    Took two strong lads & me three quarters of an hour to get it up with a loop of heavy 10mm chain hooked over it. Released our own anchor & then up one end comes with a 33ld Bruce attached to it which we unshackled. The chain we could not recover so buoyed with an old white fender & released.
    It was afloat at half ebb. Bear in mind it may be under at high tide.
    Lower Halstow YC are aware & may try to recover it.
    Broke my heart letting good galv chain go but at least we won an anchor!

Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

I have a chart which says 'Munitions dumping area' around there.
    it not on any of the newer charts...
    1988 Bayliner 2855

I thought it was a designated anchorage for munitions - nice and out of the way

Apparently it was used for mooring ammunition barges, the locals still call it Bomb bay, today all you will see are yachts

Lots of junk on the bottom in Stangate
    I once picked up enough lead piping on a coil to nearly sink my dinghy, another time a wire rope which nearly burnt out my windlass.
    you never know what's below.

I have been sailing & anchoring there since the 70's & have only caught something three times. Once a baked bean tin went on the point of the cqr & we dragged, It must have been dropped shortly before as it still had some beans in it!
    Second time was a 7ft roll of carpet tied up with cord on west side just off the old outfall about 1/4 mile south of sharfleet entrance, hell of a job getting that to the surface. Its still there. Often wondered if there was something nasty wrapped up inside it!
    Then last weekend.
    Lower Halstow YC told me there is a heavy chain at entrance to Funton that has caught a few people.
    Entrance to Stangate on left one of our club members had an undercarriage leg from an aeroplane, thats still there as well!

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Quote Originally Posted by Keith 66 View Post
    Sunday morning we were anchored at the top of Stangate creek round the corner before you turn up to Lower Halstow creek, slightly south of the middle of the creek. On trying to get our anchor up found it well & truly stuck.
    Took two strong lads & me three quarters of an hour to get it up with a loop of heavy 10mm chain hooked over it. Released our own anchor & then up one end comes with a 33ld Bruce attached to it which we unshackled. The chain we could not recover so buoyed with an old white fender & released.
    It was afloat at half ebb. Bear in mind it may be under at high tide.
    Lower Halstow YC are aware & may try to recover it.
    Broke my heart letting good galv chain go but at least we won an anchor!
    An update to this, I eventually got round to getting an accurate position yesterday. The fender is submerged at high water but visible at low water. One of our members did have a go at lifting the chain, but couldn't free it either. We (LHYC) don't have a suitable work boat to attempt to move it.
    The position is (can't find a degree symbol on my iPad):
    051 23.669 N

000 41.523 E
    Last edited by FulmarJeddo; 24-09-19 at 15:16. Reason: Error in Easting

Quote Originally Posted by FulmarJeddo View Post
    An update to this, I eventually got round to getting an accurate position yesterday. The fender is submerged at high water but visible at low water. One of our members did have a go at lifting the chain, but couldn't free it either. We (LHYC) don't have a suitable work boat to attempt to move it.
    The position is (can't find a degree symbol on my iPad):
    051 23.67 N

000 44.52 E
    Is it me or are the coordinates wrong? It shows up on the W bank of the Swale for me, unless I’ve got it wrong (quite probable).
    Calico Jack

Yes that Creek was oft mentioned by Dockyard personel in the 60s as where they got rid of unwanted objects from the Dockyard, so perhaps, best be on guard if anchoring there

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
    Is it me or are the coordinates wrong? It shows up on the W bank of the Swale for me, unless I’ve got it wrong (quite probable).
    Same here. I kept quiet in case it was my mistake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast