Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Benfleet Essex
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Sunday morning we were anchored at the top of Stangate creek round the corner before you turn up to Lower Halstow creek, slightly south of the middle of the creek. On trying to get our anchor up found it well & truly stuck.
    Took two strong lads & me three quarters of an hour to get it up with a loop of heavy 10mm chain hooked over it. Released our own anchor & then up one end comes with a 33ld Bruce attached to it which we unshackled. The chain we could not recover so buoyed with an old white fender & released.
    It was afloat at half ebb. Bear in mind it may be under at high tide.
    Lower Halstow YC are aware & may try to recover it.
    Broke my heart letting good galv chain go but at least we won an anchor!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    I have a chart which says 'Munitions dumping area' around there.
    it not on any of the newer charts...
    1988 Bayliner 2855

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Medway, UK, boat in SYH
    Posts
    2,379

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    I thought it was a designated anchorage for munitions - nice and out of the way

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Benfleet Essex
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Apparently it was used for mooring ammunition barges, the locals still call it Bomb bay, today all you will see are yachts

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    isle of sheppey
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Lots of junk on the bottom in Stangate
    I once picked up enough lead piping on a coil to nearly sink my dinghy, another time a wire rope which nearly burnt out my windlass.
    you never know what's below.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Benfleet Essex
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    I have been sailing & anchoring there since the 70's & have only caught something three times. Once a baked bean tin went on the point of the cqr & we dragged, It must have been dropped shortly before as it still had some beans in it!
    Second time was a 7ft roll of carpet tied up with cord on west side just off the old outfall about 1/4 mile south of sharfleet entrance, hell of a job getting that to the surface. Its still there. Often wondered if there was something nasty wrapped up inside it!
    Then last weekend.
    Lower Halstow YC told me there is a heavy chain at entrance to Funton that has caught a few people.
    Entrance to Stangate on left one of our club members had an undercarriage leg from an aeroplane, thats still there as well!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith 66 View Post
    Sunday morning we were anchored at the top of Stangate creek round the corner before you turn up to Lower Halstow creek, slightly south of the middle of the creek. On trying to get our anchor up found it well & truly stuck.
    Took two strong lads & me three quarters of an hour to get it up with a loop of heavy 10mm chain hooked over it. Released our own anchor & then up one end comes with a 33ld Bruce attached to it which we unshackled. The chain we could not recover so buoyed with an old white fender & released.
    It was afloat at half ebb. Bear in mind it may be under at high tide.
    Lower Halstow YC are aware & may try to recover it.
    Broke my heart letting good galv chain go but at least we won an anchor!
    An update to this, I eventually got round to getting an accurate position yesterday. The fender is submerged at high water but visible at low water. One of our members did have a go at lifting the chain, but couldn't free it either. We (LHYC) don't have a suitable work boat to attempt to move it.
    The position is (can't find a degree symbol on my iPad):
    051 23.669 N

    000 41.523 E
    Last edited by FulmarJeddo; 24-09-19 at 15:16. Reason: Error in Easting

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chatham, Kent
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Quote Originally Posted by FulmarJeddo View Post
    An update to this, I eventually got round to getting an accurate position yesterday. The fender is submerged at high water but visible at low water. One of our members did have a go at lifting the chain, but couldn't free it either. We (LHYC) don't have a suitable work boat to attempt to move it.
    The position is (can't find a degree symbol on my iPad):
    051 23.67 N

    000 44.52 E
    Is it me or are the coordinates wrong? It shows up on the W bank of the Swale for me, unless I’ve got it wrong (quite probable).
    Calico Jack

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dawlish South Devon
    Posts
    14,536

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Yes that Creek was oft mentioned by Dockyard personel in the 60s as where they got rid of unwanted objects from the Dockyard, so perhaps, best be on guard if anchoring there

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: Anchor hazard Top of Stangate creek

    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
    Is it me or are the coordinates wrong? It shows up on the W bank of the Swale for me, unless I’ve got it wrong (quite probable).
    Same here. I kept quiet in case it was my mistake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to