Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: when and where to dump the black tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    thought saily boats had loos and holding tanks too, who knew?
    In my experience most yachties don't even have holding tanks.
    Just a hand pump that pumps overboard.

That said, they don't usually put loo paper down the toilet - rather - keep it in a bag.
    That way, it is just natural waste going into the sea.
    God - this conversation is getting difficult.

My preference of emptying the holding tank is to just go past the halfway line down the channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

That said, they don't usually put loo paper down the toilet - rather - keep it in a bag.
    It’s not difficult to collect toilet tissue in a bin and/or with use of a liner bag , such as nappy bag. No worse than dealing with a nappy. Certainly no worse than picking up after the pet dog. I think the instructions for most boat loos probably suggest paper etc is not put down the loo.
    I have a pee only policy on the boat and use shore facilities whenever possible and only in extreme circumstances dump in the boat loo. I appreciate that may not be possible for everyone. So when discharging it is liquid only not even any tissue paper. Another plus is never having any issues with the tank full gauge .
    As for holding tanks on yachts – yes they may have them but in my very limited experience they may be quite small tanks and intended for overnight stop meaning you let it go when you go out to sea the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    In my experience most yachties don't even have holding tanks.
    Just a hand pump that pumps overboard.

God - this conversation is getting difficult.
    You don't even want to ask about the dinghy sailors ....

300L holding tank - wow - we have a holding tank capacity of <20Litres ... it usually lasts 2 days with 3 onboard ... but being land based, we do get to use normal toilets during the day ...
    as for emptying - it goes down chemical waste disposal points on site ....

Personally I think discharging the black tank in a marina or anchorage is disgusting and selfish and can easily be avoided with a bit of forethought and planning. Worst of all for me are the idiots who continue to use the loo when the tank is full forcing the excess out through the vent pipe spraying nearby boats with p1ss and sh1t.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    Personally I think discharging the black tank in a marina or anchorage is disgusting and selfish and can easily be avoided with a bit of forethought and planning. Worst of all for me are the idiots who continue to use the loo when the tank is full forcing the excess out through the vent pipe spraying nearby boats with p1ss and sh1t.
    To be fair not all systems behave like that. On my boat when the holding tank sensor senses that the tank is full it just disables the toilet flushing mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I rather agree with you. The issue is the bigger boats have bigger and more proper toilets so people tend to use them as they would on land..... If you are in a marina don't use the boat bog go to the one on shore assuming there is one
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

I was thinking about this thread as I was fixing something in my Shed.

I kind of think the answer to when is it acceptable to pump your shit out into the Marina or anywhere near...…………… Is never under any circumstances...…….. The thing is it don't matter how big your boat is your shit still smells and is horrible just like the poor people so deal with it in a civilised way

Another thing occurred to me while in my shed...…….

Several people on here seem happy with pumping out there Shit into the marina or sea but wont actually type the word Shit... They put 5hit or S**t...……….. or even Shite which lets face it is just adding an e ………….Quite incredible how our world is warped...……… I blame Brexit or Mrs Thatcher it must have been one or the other

This shed of yours, is it an outhouse with a gargoil knocker on?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast