Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: restraining my anchor - what would you fit here ?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    What are you trying to do, restrain it when deployed or restrain it when at anchor?
    indeed, i don't want the anchor to drop down when on the go.
    i use a V snubber, that is used as needed = nearly every time. happy to maintain that.

not keen on a chain stopper, can only see that catching when not needed.

like the eye bolt suggestion best, no need to drill another hole in my boat to 'improve' it
    used to sail, my knots and rope handling are sufficient to tie it on

I cannot recall seeing a chain stopper on the size of yacht most of us own. I do see them on larger, new, yachts and I guess they might have a place on smaller, older?, maybe traditional, heavy displacement yachts but on the yachts most of us own, AWBs and their MoBo equivalent, they are like hens teeth. A chain hook or lifting clutch (which is what we use) seems to be more than adequate. We simple tie our clutch, with dyneema, to existing holes. I see stainless hooks (rather than clutches) often and think this reflects availability.

You rejection, after being offered the options, seems to be a common conclusion.

Overkill comes to mind - though nothing wrong with belt and braces.

Jonathan

There is some discussion about chainstopper in this thread linked below.

It sounds like Simon has decided agiainst fitting one which I can understand, they are expensive and cannot be installed on many boats, but for others with the same problem the link may be worthwhile.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...er-setup/page3

Could you get a loop of dyneema around the windlass? If you can you could make a strop.
    I have a capstan and a gypsy. My solution was to make a restrainer made of dyneema. One end is a big eye that goes over the windlass. The other end is a pelican hook as you have on the guardrail. On the eye of anchor shank pass a dyneema loop or a soft shackle. Once your anchor is retreived you can close the the pelican which makes the strop tight when it closes.

Anchor strop.JPG

In this way the anchor cannot accidentally pay out

TudorSailor

I have two mooring cleats at the bows, aft of the windlass and the chain locker lid. When I am at anchor I have a nylon bridle with a soft eye at each end. In the middle I have a locking chain-hook. When the anchor has gripped, the eyes are put on the cleats, the line is put in the fairleads, the hook is clipped onto the chain and the windlass lets out some more chain so that the strain passes to the bridle.
    When the boat is moving, the anchor is 'parked' on the front roller and the chain-hook is clipped onto the chain just below the hole in the deck through which it enters the locker; there's no way that the chain-hook can pass through that hole. The bridle, complete with chain-hook, lives in the locker ready for use when I next anchor.
    Last edited by PuffTheMagicDragon; 07-09-19 at 17:02.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Tudor's solution will work well as if the clutch slips and the anchor is in danger of disappearing (with all the rode - one reason to secure the bitter end to a strong point in the chain locker) then the short strop will stop any disaster.

Anyone reading these threads will surely know by now the benefits of a decent long snubber, think vessel length. The snubber needs to be made from a sufficiently elastic cordage, like nylon, and thin enough to stretch under the tension applied when the vessel yaws or hobby horses. If it is thin enough it will have a finite lifespan (assuming you anchor frequently).

Snubbers do fail.

We have broken 2 in 20 years.

You need a backup to the snubber and ideally this device could be the same that retains the anchor when on passage - but now you do not want the back up to possibly rely on the windlass.

Puff's solution is the optimum - use separate strong points for the snubbers and separate strong point for the chain lock/anchor securement 'device'

You can attach snubbers to amidship or transom cleats and use the same strong point, you use to secure the bitter end, for the back up.

Just make sure any retaining point has sufficient reinforcing for the potential loads.

Having viewed many windlass I would not rely on their fixtures as my fall back. A snatch load from a veering yacht can be many hundreds of kgs, I have measured with a load cell 650kg (38' x 7t yacht) - its frightening. . I'm not sure windlass and their reinforcement are designed for that sort of load (they might be - I'm simply not sure).

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Seager View Post
    I spliced a chain hook to a loop of rope that I can slip over the whole windlass.
    +1 - keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    indeed, i don't want the anchor to drop down when on the go.
    i use a V snubber, that is used as needed = nearly every time. happy to maintain that.

not keen on a chain stopper, can only see that catching when not needed.

like the eye bolt suggestion best, no need to drill another hole in my boat to 'improve' it
    used to sail, my knots and rope handling are sufficient to tie it on
    You just need something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    +1 - keep it simple.
    Sorry but I prefer keep it safe (and simple).

Jonathan

tnx for all the tips, the eye bolt works was easy to install. shall sort a carbine clip for it too.

as i solo boat, an issue with tying it down is a possible engine failure, when maneuvering it would really be better to leave the chain free so its quick to drop the anchor if needed ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast