Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Me; Nth County Dublin, Boat;Malahide
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Not just Dulux Gloss. You should use Exterior gloss, perferably polyeurethane. There is a Dulux paint marketed for front doors that is claimed to last 10 years.

    Personally I would recommend Sandtex 10-Year Exterior Gloss (B&Q). This was what we used on a fleet of sailing school boats three years ago, and last Saturday a group of us went for a sail on two of them (Heir Island to North Harbour, Cape Clear and back!), and I can report that the paint job on the entire fleet is standing up remarkably well. Unfortunately I have no close up pics of the exterior of the noats

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Benfleet Essex
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    One useful thing to note - I used Hempel Multicoat on the deck of my Wayfarer last year. It promises to be undercoat and hard wearing top coat in one tin.

    In real life it is softer and more wear resistant that water based emulsion and looks crap after 18 months. Don't go anywhere near it.
    Awful stuff, Its soft & wears off in no time. Thats even with the boat sitting still & unused out of the water. Wont ever use the stuff again.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Benfleet, Essex/Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,892

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    So can this polyurethane exterior gloss be used on the hull?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    If you're not going to remove all of the existing paint then that might affect your paint choice. 2-pack over 1-pot is generally not recommended, although you can sometimes get away with it if the existing paint is very old. If you are thinking of doing that then I'd suggest experimenting on a small area first (or not doing it...).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    N of Ardnamurchan, winter Loch Melfort
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    If you're not going to remove all of the existing paint then that might affect your paint choice. 2-pack over 1-pot is generally not recommended, although you can sometimes get away with it if the existing paint is very old. If you are thinking of doing that then I'd suggest experimenting on a small area first (or not doing it...).
    I go along with that. The more 'technical' the paint is, the more perfect the substrate has to be (and the more perfect the ambient conditions, such as temperature and humidity). On an older hull, where the history is not known, I would use a traditional paint; certainly nothing more exotic than single pack polyurethane.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galway Ireland
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Get yourself a Random Orbital Sander.
    Sand to whatever finish you want. Don't be too fussy.
    Then Sandtex, roll and tip off.
    It's an old boat, not a work of art.
    The first time you mess up coming alongside you will be glad you didn't spend too much time painting it.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Muchalls
    Posts
    1,247

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    [QUOTE=ron
    The first time you mess up coming alongside you will be glad you didn't spend too much time painting it.[/QUOTE]

    Good point Ron, and one reason I'll stick with my old boat. Less to worry about!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Muchalls
    Posts
    1,247

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Not just Dulux Gloss. You should use Exterior gloss, perferably polyeurethane. There is a Dulux paint marketed for front doors that is claimed to last 10 years.

    Personally I would recommend Sandtex 10-Year Exterior Gloss (B&Q). This was what we used on a fleet of sailing school boats three years ago, and last Saturday a group of us went for a sail on two of them (Heir Island to North Harbour, Cape Clear and back!), and I can report that the paint job on the entire fleet is standing up remarkably well. Unfortunately I have no close up pics of the exterior of the noats
    That's interesting, thanks. If paint stands up to sailing school usage it should be OK for the rest of us.
    From memory, Sandtex is an upmarket version of Dulux, just as Sadolin is the better version of Crown Or the other way round perhaps?) Anyway, while specialist marine paints do seem expensive I also think spending a bit more on paint than just the usual DIY brands is worthwhile. Sadolin, Sandtex, Zinsser and others, even the trade versions of commoner brands, are worth the extra.
    Looks like my own Longbow will get a repaint in the spring with quality domestic paint rather than marine. As someone else commented, it's a boat, not a work of art (or not the ceiling of The Sistine Chapel as I sometimes jest when doing paint work at home or for others!)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    If you're not going to remove all of the existing paint then that might affect your paint choice. 2-pack over 1-pot is generally not recommended, although you can sometimes get away with it if the existing paint is very old. If you are thinking of doing that then I'd suggest experimenting on a small area first (or not doing it...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    I go along with that. The more 'technical' the paint is, the more perfect the substrate has to be (and the more perfect the ambient conditions, such as temperature and humidity). On an older hull, where the history is not known, I would use a traditional paint; certainly nothing more exotic than single pack polyurethane.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmarson View Post
    Get yourself a Random Orbital Sander.
    Sand to whatever finish you want. Don't be too fussy.
    Then Sandtex, roll and tip off.
    It's an old boat, not a work of art.
    The first time you mess up coming alongside you will be glad you didn't spend too much time painting it.
    Lots of exceptionally good points, thank all. In essence if it looks decent enough from 10ft away I'll be happy!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Embra, maybe onboard Matilda
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

    Did I say donít over-think it? Itís an old boat, itís your old boat. If you were charging someone for the job, maybe youíd worry. Otherwise, do it or donít. It wonít sail any better, or have any increase in value. Not being rude, just practical. No need to reply, this isnít a conversation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to