Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Prep for paintwork on GRP

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    So can this polyurethane exterior gloss be used on the hull?
    Yes, there have been one or two mentions of painting the deck, but mostly the discussion has been about painting the topsides (i.e. boaty word for the part of the hull visible above the water☺).

Excellent. Thank you

If you are going to use a two pack paint you should be aware that if the existing paint is a one pack then the two pack paint solvent is much more searching and you will possibly or probably get the old paint lifting. So if you are useing two pack I would wipe over the boat with some of the two pack thinners first to test. In all the 50 years of painting the outsides of boats I have always used two pack as it is much more durable and UV resistant. I have been lucky in that I either stripped back to clean wood or I was painting onto a known epoxy or 2 pack polyurethane, or new gelcoat. On new gelcoat I was advised to flat back with 600 grade then 1 coat of epoxy primer followed with 2 coats 2 pack polyurethane. I first used International, then Venitziani, and lastly Jotun. The Jotun was supplied by SML www.smlpaints.co.uk T: 01285 862132. I was very satisfied with the results The Epoxy and Polyurethane can be bought in 5 litre cans approx £50 each they will also sell scales which I think are essential when mixing 2 pack so that you can get the proportions of base, hardener and thinners exact very easily

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123