Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Second hand boat prices

I think the second hand price will continue to fall because running costs will increase significantly making yacht ownership even more difficult.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Griff Rees-Jones is reported to have said that his Philip Rhodes yacht Undina cost him £70,000 to buy and that he spent close to £500,000 on her; she is now for sale at ... £70,000.
    Hopefully he made a few quid from his book, 'to the Baltic with Bob' or whatever it was?
    Boats, like houses, cost whatever you are able to spend on them.
    Residual value is a matter of opinion.
    I feel the market is changing, I've raced boats where the capital value is not much more than a few years cost of ownership, I think this might become more widespread.
    It's a toy, don't buy it with money you cannot afford to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroberts View Post
    Talking of pouring money into things and having no resale value, this W33 has an insane amount of kit for the price.
    Not often you see an old Westerly with satellite comms installed, certainly

Pete

Talking of pouring money into things and having no resale value, this W33 has an insane amount of kit for the price. New navtech, windvane, rigging. Can't buy right now, but hopefully something like this (assuming it's not a wreck somehow) comes up in 6 months or so.

https://poole.boatshed.com/westerly_...t-265204.html?
    I am particularly impressed with the declared max draft of 4.2m - that is impressive for a bilge keeler!

I agree it is a lot of boat for the price - but that is where the market appears to be these days - there are some real bargains to be had.

Talking of pouring money into things and having no resale value, this W33 has an insane amount of kit for the price. New navtech, windvane, rigging. Can't buy right now, but hopefully something like this (assuming it's not a wreck somehow) comes up in 6 months or so.

https://poole.boatshed.com/westerly_...t-265204.html?
    No second hand mab is a bargain if it has an old engine of unknown year and unknown hours, regardless of how many toys it carries.

That W33 does look good value, but it probably will need a new engine soonish ~ £6k, new sails again ~£4.5-6k, new standing rigging ~£3k, new standing rigging £1k before you even think about the condition the wiring is in...

So that's around £15k spent with no discernible impact on the resale value. Undoubtedly she would stand you in good stead for many years though so would have to be a boat you intended to keep for a while to justify the upgrades.

I was talking to a broker earlier this week and he said that boats between 35-55 ft, less than 10 years old and in good order are selling well, many to Northern Europe due to the low value of the pound.

New boat sales he tells me have stalled due to uncertainty regarding Brexit and the low pound.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    That W33 does look good value, but it probably will need a new engine soonish ~ £6k, new sails again ~£4.5-6k, new standing rigging ~£3k, new standing rigging £1k before you even think about the condition the wiring is in...

So that's around £15k spent with no discernible impact on the resale value. Undoubtedly she would stand you in good stead for many years though so would have to be a boat you intended to keep for a while to justify the upgrades.
    Thats the problem withe 70's / 80's / 90's british-built boats, even if they're free its still not worth it. They'll be a symphony of chainsaws in boatyards up and down the country over the next 10 - 20 years for the reasons mentioned above and before: little time / many more hobbies to choose from that dont cost like boat ownership / too much money to justify purchase / boomers dying out / chartering / uncertain economy, etc etc..............
    Last edited by guardian; 30-08-19 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    I was talking to a broker earlier this week and he said that boats between 35-55 ft, less than 10 years old and in good order are selling well, many to Northern Europe due to the low value of the pound.

New boat sales he tells me have stalled due to uncertainty regarding Brexit and the low pound.
    And these used but under 10 year old boats may suddenly be worth 20% less to the European buyers on 1st November if the buyer needs to pay VAT to reimport to Europe. This could hit values substantially when current market for them heavily buoyed by weak sterling attracting Euro buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by guardian View Post
    Thats the problem withe 70's / 80's / 90's british-built boats, even if they're free its still not worth it. They'll be a symphony of chainsaws in boatyards up and down the country over the next 10 - 20 years for the reasons mentioned above and before: little time / many more hobbies to choose from that dont cost like boat ownership / too much money to justify purchase / boomers dying out / chartering / uncertain economy, etc etc..............
    I currently live on a boat that looks a little like a submarine:

Capture.JPG

Intend to attempt to sell to a ..pretty limited market, it's not exactly Rosie & Jim (the overall sewer tube market seems ok, thanks to London floaters), move back onto land for some time and have a thing for unsuccessful startups. Financial prudence isn't exactly my middle name. I do really like boats though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast