Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Towing an inflatable

I have tried the usual methods. There is no good answer. I’d always take the outboard off, and be prepared to heave to and get it aboard pronto, case need.

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    I found that they only flip if they're on the windward side (and hoiked up the transom). Obvious really when you think about it - so we just 'tacked' the dinghy as necessary.
    Could you please empty your PM inbox (you are over the limit apparently) as we have all been sending you PMs and they are being rejected. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    Could you please empty your PM inbox (you are over the limit apparently) as we have all been sending you PMs and they are being rejected. Cheers
    How intriguing! Don't send too many, the inbox isn't big enough to keep all the treasures that I have in there....

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    How intriguing! Don't send too many, the inbox isn't big enough to keep all the treasures that I have in there....
    If that is the case I better delete my past PMs too.(There'd only be a half dozen or so) Cheers Clive

Another option for easy foredeck on/off is a line with a block round another block at the end of the pole & use a halyard.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    We tend to avoid towing, butt if we do, we haul the bow up the bathing ladder.
    That way, only a liited amount of water can stay in the dinghy and we can always haul it higher to lose most of that.
    Same here, high up on the leeward side of the transom and I leave the engine on, but I only tow for short trips, a couple of hours or so. As my inflatable has two painter rings flipping has never been an issue.
    If the sea is a bit bumpy and I feel the need to take the engine off then I would also haul the dingy up onto the foredeck as towing is done for speed, ease and laziness.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

With an outboard motor on the stern of our yacht lifting the bow of the tender is nt possible.

Towing astern our Seago 2.3 behaves ok up to about 4.5 knots.5 and above the bow starts digging in even with a ,5 gallon water barrell in the stern .

It does however fit nicely on the foredeck .we rig mooring lines led back to the cockpit to save climbing over the dinghy and if anchoring we toss it over the side first.

Another bonus is we can leave the fore hatch open under the upturned dinghy even in rain.

Having downsized last year I have no option but to usually tow the dinghy as even if deflated it takes up too much room, but apart from anything else I always think it's very inelegant to tow it. Best option I have had on previous boats was a small grp dinghy stowed upside down on deck (wooden boat, low bulwarks instead of guardrails).

Quote Originally Posted by TamarMike View Post
    Having downsized last year I have no option but to usually tow the dinghy as even if deflated it takes up too much room, but apart from anything else I always think it's very inelegant to tow it.
    Aesthetics play an important part in many of my nautical decisions, even at the risk of inconvenience. What marine artist would paint a picture of a yacht carrying a dinghy in davits?
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I hoist mine up hard but backwards. No transom drag and never flipped even in really rough stuff.BLUENOTE_II.jpg
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast