Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Really good sailing gloves wanted.

I sail from about April to October, and it's not really hot in Scotland, and I do quite a bit of night sailing. My hands get cold.
    I have yet to find a decent warm, waterproof glove.
    I've tries various (but not all) gloves marketed for sailing. Fingerless, fingered, cuffless, cuffed, said to be waterproof, and even those obviously not. I've even tried some not claimed to be any good for sailing (like for example Sealskinz), but so far have yet to find a "good" glove. They get wet inside making them hard to get on/off, and when wet make my hands feel colder that when they're bare.

Have you found any really god sailing gloves? If so what?
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

Default Re: Really good sailing gloves wanted.

You've probably tried them, but there are two varieties of these, ordinary and thermal. I get them from a local agri shop for about £1.50 and £2 respectively. I never get cold hands with them, and although I mainly race, I'm generally the dick with the stick not doing a great deal.

I only wear gloves either when it's pretty cold, my hands are cut, or I'm crewing performance dinghies with thin sheets.
    Or for anchor handling.
    Anchor handling, I use rigger gloves from screwfix.
    Fast dinghy crewing, leather fingerless gloves.
    Other sailing in the cold, I've tried all sorts.
    THese are current favourite:
    https://www.toolstation.com/watertit...-gloves/p52946
    They are fully dipped, so no windchill.
    Wear quite well.
    I can put them on with wet hands.
    Ok dexterity for helming a Laser or most dinghies, have to take them off to fiddle with knots in small string.

Depends a lot on what want to do whilst wearing the gloves.
    Helmsman gloves (or possibly motor bike gloves?) are great for keeping hands warm when .... well helming.
    But not very good for ropework. Regular sailing gloves are great for protecting the skin when doing ropework - eg pulling thin ropes, or surging out a mainsheet after a windy weather gybe.
    Thin Inner/under gloves help with general winter warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    They get wet inside making them hard to get on/off, and when wet make my hands feel colder that when they're bare.
    Is this external water or sweat? How long are you sailing for in any given stretch, would it be worth having a couple of pairs that you could swap between (allow a pair to dry while wearing another). So far my technique has been to get several pairs of cheap gloves from the supermarket, some 'grippy' most not and then swap and change as needed depending on what I'm doing. (This applies things that aren't sailing too).

There's no simple answer, G.

For some tasks e.g. anchor/chain work, you need industrial gloves with impact resistance. For summer work with wet sheets and halyards I have a pair of Gill fingerless leather that do not mind getting wet..

There are probably three or four other pairs of different styles and construction around the boat, including some really excellent Guy Cotten thermal fisherman's gloves.

https://www.marineandagriculturalclo...oves-c-32_154/
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    There's no simple answer, G.

For some tasks e.g. anchor/chain work, you need industrial gloves with impact resistance. For summer work with wet sheets and halyards I have a pair of Gill fingerless leather that do not mind getting wet..

There are probably three or four other pairs of different styles and construction around the boat, including some really excellent Guy Cotten thermal fisherman's gloves.
    What does a thermal fisherman look like?

Some good suggestions, thanks. I tend to do everything on my boat, and more specific tasks on other's boats. I do quite a lot of night sailing, and a fair bit singlehanded. Often long stretches. If with others, 4 hour watches, helming. But sometimes longer spells, line in June I sailed singlehanded non-stop Gigha to Stornoway (34 hours). Several pairs sounds good. I have not tried those dipper type gloves, but at the price well worth a try. Branded stuff doesn't seem to perform, but costs a lot.. Think I'll be a thermal fisherman then?
    Forgot to mention I have big hands (three notes over an octave) and some stuff just doesn't fit.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

I'm all ears. Same problem. But I have learned a few things.
    * Above about 50F I'm happy with fingerless gloves, particularly when it is dry. I really favor Ronstan Stick Race. But for cool weather, the main thing is that they are heavy and have 3 full fingers; that helps with both wear on me and warmth. Even in really cold weather, I may wear just these for line handling, because nothing else is so nimble.
    * Gloves for specific tasks. I like coated thermal gloves like the Delta Plus noted above. They get wet fast, but they dry fast. I use them for handling anchor and mooring lines. I keep several pairs on board, some for visitors, because they are really warm when dry. Cheap.
    * Windblocker with heavy leather face. I have a pair of Mountain Hardware fleece gloves that I just love and have worn out. They don't make them anymore. Damn. They were great for mostly dry conditions, down to freezing. Almost as nimble as sailing gloves.
    *Shells. I may try my Goretex shell gloves this winter. Didn't need them on my last boat (cat with big hard top), and didn't sail the prior boat in cold, wet weather (9 meter racing cat). They used to be popular in mountaineering circles, work over fleece gloves (you took the shells off for fine work). Perhaps I will wear the sailing gloves under them. Shells also dry faster than ski gloves; that was a big selling point on expeditions.

Ski gloves and wet suit gloves can work too. Ski gloves have gotten better and cheaper; there is no reason not to have several pair. Thick wet suit gloves are warm, but trouble to take off.

Perhaps there is no one answer.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    What does a thermal fisherman look like?
    The military appear to have a term for it. 'Sailors Head'. (This is why I added the note about sunscreen to my thread re Training Opportunities)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast