Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Really good sailing gloves wanted.

Agree with those saying that several pairs of varying weights might be best solution. I have 4 depending on weather and temperature. I also have 4 pairs for cycling - one of which only works when its below 5C, otherwise my hands sweat and get cold.

If you're not doing anything too dextrous, I'd recommend lobster-style gloves. They're a cross between gloves and mittens - a thumb and then two 'bigger' claws, each of which takes two fingers. It's surprising how much warmer those two fingers keep each other compared to gloves - and how much you can actually do with them on. I got mine for cycling originally but they migrated to my sailing bag.

I have a knitted garment I picked up at WHYW - not too good at keeping hands warm.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Thin silk liner gloves keep my hands warm under wet ski gloves, motorcycle gloves, Gill helmsman gloves, everything except neoprene fishermen's with fold-back finger tips. Aye, I have a lot of gloves on board!
    total agreement I did lots of research because I too suffer from cold hands, pure silk inner gloves ( and socks) work for me covered over with a sealskinz glove. Available on ebay by Jasmine Silk

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    I sail from about April to October, and it's not really hot in Scotland, and I do quite a bit of night sailing. My hands get cold.
    I have yet to find a decent warm, waterproof glove.
    I've tries various (but not all) gloves marketed for sailing. Fingerless, fingered, cuffless, cuffed, said to be waterproof, and even those obviously not. I've even tried some not claimed to be any good for sailing (like for example Sealskinz), but so far have yet to find a "good" glove. They get wet inside making them hard to get on/off, and when wet make my hands feel colder that when they're bare.

Have you found any really god sailing gloves? If so what?
    I sail in the Med. I am looking for a glove suitable for hot weather and protection - so the opposite of the OP
    So I would like fingerless, quick drying and thin on the back so that my hands do not get too hot! But robust on the front for pulling on sheets and furling line

TudorSailor

Don't think there's a silver bullet here.

For cold when you're sitting around or helming, I would go with ski gloves or mittens. I bought a pair of Gill helmsman gloves when I did the Southern Ocean a few years ago and they were good but I think ski gloves from Decathlon might have as good for 1/3 the price. They don't dry easily; maybe get two pairs and rotate them if you are doing long offshore; do the old army trick of putting them in your sleeping bag.

If you need more dexterity and grip then winter dinghy gloves are good. You'll see them in any boat park through chilly weekends. But they aren't that warm; they are good dinghy sailing when (1) you are in a dry suit (2) you are always on the move.

That said, maintaining your core temperature is actually the best way to keep your fingers from going numb. Maybe another layer or two would help...and on a related topic, peel off those layers when working hard and replace them when static so your core isn't surrounded by clammy sweat.

Finally, regarding warm weather - that's easy to find fingerless or long-finger fake leather gloves at LDC, wetsuit warehouse or Amazon.

Tribord stuff is well thought of and reasonably priced especially in France. So these are probably worth a shot. Two year guarantee as well. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/offshore...BoCHJEQAvD_BwE

The problem with gloves and boots is not just warm and waterproof, it's getting them dry!! I use a boot drier for both, some times in the summer and frequently, sometimes daily, in the winter.
    Boot%u00252BDrier%u00252Blow%u00252Bres%u00252Bhome%u00252Bversion.jpg

Does anyone know of a 12v version, or one that is designed to use on board? Could also dry the insides of foulies. It would be nice if it took the dampness outside, but that's probably asking too much.

The 12v fan is easy. Computers. Heat is more difficult, but even without heat just getting air into the fingertips should help... but not so much if the air is cold and near saturation. The cabin would have to be well heated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234