Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: An average night at anchor in Ionian (almost)

Aaarghh.

We had a nice lunch in Mitikas and kept hearing comments from a man and two teenage girls at the next table. They were asking the waiter to point out where they were on the table cover map. I heard gasps and comment about an hour or so when he pointed to the corner of the table. The map showed Lefkada and Meganisi but didn't cover the Mitikas side of the coast. They were obviously lost and I asked if they wanted to look at TomTom on my phone. I entered a route for then but they were very puzzled until I asked where they had driven from. It all became clear when they said they were on a boat.

I pulled up Navionics and told them to turn right on leaving and head straight for the island of Meganisi in the distance. Avoid the offshore underwater rocks by going straight across the North of Meganisi. Just head for the land in front after passing the last part of Meganisi. Desimo cove should be in sight slightly to their right. The waiter gave them a new folded tablecloth with map and I pointed out where to aim for.

I was surprised that they did not have a plotter or charts but said to keep heading West. Unfortunately they didn't have a compass either. I asked where they had anchored and they pointed out a small hire boat with an outboard. I asked their father if they needed any petrol but he just smiled and reversed out. I hope that they get back to Desimo cove, it's about 13nm.

Quote Originally Posted by cherod View Post
    really nice reading about how you are all dealing with the day to day issues in far flung foreign sunny lands ,, i could do a short narration of what it is like on a blustry ( 24 hours away from autumn ) day in Peterhead ,, but i shant bore you all ,,, enjoy , R
    I remember meeting a disappointed English sailor in Peterhead many years ago. The harbourmaster had asked him to move his boat along a bit because there was a "Fashion boat" coming in. He thought that it must be a photo-shoot for a magazine and was looking forward to seeing leggy models. Very disappointed when a rusty old trawler turned up. It took him a little while to work it out.

Having said that, I had trouble near Rosehearty range when asking if it would be clear to cut across. I could not understand a word the VHF operator said. It became embarrassing when asking him several times to repeat slowly and clearly because "his transmission was broken up". I even asked for a simply yes or no and finally called to say that I would detour around the range. I later heard that people from Aberdeen struggled with the Peterhead accent and they in turn had problems with Rosehearty. No idea if it was true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    It be interesting to hear more how you getting on in the Canaries , once you been there longer , we keep on talking about spending a winter there but what's put us off is hearing there not many places you can anchor with the swell .
    And asyou know , anchoring is our life , marinas ok for the odd month over winter .
    Well Capnsensible is your man - hes been here for years and we met up a few weeks ago with his wife and mine for a lovely few drinks and food. Not missing the Ionian in high season at all as the Sun is still warm and we are completely alone at an anchorage off Fuertaventura well sheltered from swell (so far) and a four knot wind.

Plenty of room to anchor in 7m and more but we arrived as the last 3 tourist cats were leaving and one said just take our bouy - we will need it back at 10:15 - I dived down anyway and it all looks good.

But as Med sailors we made a beginners error yesterday as we anchored off a beach with a few other yachts in turquoise as 4 meters. After a post lunch nap I saw a rocky plateau dividing the beach was much more visible. We had anchored at high tide with a 2.5m drop. Id forgotten about water going up and down like that.

Croatia is even worse regarding "situations" on anchor.
    Many charter boats with "sailors" without any knowledge (manly Slovakia and Poland; do not want to be judgy).

I found Ionian very similar to Croatia in a few popular anchorages but with Croatia you have dozens of less popular anchorages too. I found the worst anchorers were professional Croatian captains as they all seem to think that the only way to anchor is to reverse at high speed through the anchorage as the anchor drops then come to a massive halt if the anchor catches. So they end up at a random place. I’ve seen this technique hundreds of times in Croatia but never anywhere else.

But my favourite was an Italian boat and a French boat in high winds one evening off Vis. The moorings were full so a few of us had to go to a steeply sloping beach where it went from 3 metres to 10 metres to 40 very quickly. Really just room on the 8 metre line. So the Italian boat decided as we were all alongside each other facing the wind he would park at right angles so dropped his anchor ahead of the pack at the left hand end of our line of boats and motored backwards at right angles to all of us then stopped the motor when the anchor dug in. He caught at least 3 of us.

The French boat was very special. They anchored behind all of us so in 20 to 40 metres at least. Then put lights and wine in the table and served up dinner. They were at least half a mile out to sea when it got dark and still seemed to be eating and drinking.

We witnessed an interesting Italian technique in a fairly busy spot in the Maddalenas in Sardinia. forget what it's called but three islands meet and it's a popular, sandy bottomed and fairly sheltered spot. Busy in the day with trippers but calms down later.

An Italian flagged monohull, c45ft, seemingly chartered based on its livery, comes in between a lot of anchored boats at quite some speed for the crowding and space. A lot of people on deck. Estimate it's doing a good 3 or 4 knots on motor. Then, skipper signals to someone at the bow to start paying out chain and sticks the engine in neutral whilst the chain goes out, but still with a lot of forward momentum; chain going out with windlass as full speed. Skippers elsewhere looking on nervously. Anchor eventually bites and they snag and lurch, semi-spin and come to somewhat of a halt.

People start whooping and jumping in the water, more coming up from the saloon. We lost count at 14. FOURTEEN! All aged approx 8+. Never did fathom what they were all doing on there!

Next thing 7 of them cram into your average charter boat's tender with 2.5hp outboard and disappear. They return an hour later on tow by a guy with a RIB, with a seemingly flooded outboard. Mystifying!

ETA we later had this beast anchor off our stern, quite the sight! https://yachtharbour.com/news/world-...-gibraltar-953
    Last edited by Bellacruiser; 03-09-19 at 14:46.

that is an amazing tri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12