Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: What premium performance cruiser / cruiser racer?

Maxi 1100?
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Maxi 1100?
    Was about to mention the Maxis. 1100 or 1300. Very nice yachts and pretty quick too.

Had another thought on this...

Don't be tempted by the Elan 410. I've done quite a bit of sailing on them and whilst they are great boats, but they are just way too much boat for cruising with a young family. The loads get scary high. It's a boat that can hang with the big dogs upwind in fully crewed mode, but doesn't seem to have the docile side in cruising mode that some other CRs do, shorthanded deliveries on that boat were hard work.

I've seen a couple of GS 39s for sale recently, and that's a great boat.

I'm still sticking with my Dufour 40 recommendation though...
    You never know, I might be right!

The Dufour does look like a serious contender.

One oddity is that they seem only to have one pair of winches in the cockpit and I would have expected two pairs on a performance boat - but at least they are well positioned to allow the helm to trim the Genoa.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    The Dufour does look like a serious contender.

One oddity is that they seem only to have one pair of winches in the cockpit and I would have expected two pairs on a performance boat - but at least they are well positioned to allow the helm to trim the Genoa.
    Why would you expect 2 pairs? Unless you're trimming the main with winches you only need one.
    The winches aft was something that I was initially sceptical about, but in fact came to love as it meant I could tweak away to my heart's content without disturbing the family who's notions of sailing were either to sleep or read books....

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Why would you expect 2 pairs? Unless you're trimming the main with winches you only need one.
    The winches aft was something that I was initially sceptical about, but in fact came to love as it meant I could tweak away to my heart's content without disturbing the family who's notions of sailing were either to sleep or read books....
    The winch position I love - for short handed sailing it is important that the helm can adjust all sheets from the helm position and so many boats have the primaries 6 feet away - often having to negotiate an over-sized wheel in the process. The downside is that the trimmer will normally be forward of the wheel so will tend to be operating the winch facing the wrong way

I am used to two pairs of winches in the cockpit - typically the primaries for the genoa sheets and spinnaker guys and the secondaries for the spinnaker sheets. The GS for example has a pair of primaries forward in the cockpit and the secondaries close to the helm position that could be used for Genoa sheets when sailing short handed.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    I am used to two pairs of winches in the cockpit - typically the primaries for the genoa sheets and spinnaker guys and the secondaries for the spinnaker sheets. The GS for example has a pair of primaries forward in the cockpit and the secondaries close to the helm position that could be used for Genoa sheets when sailing short handed.
    The aft winches on the GS are for the main sheet, what is known as the German system. You can just about make it out in this picture.

It's been standard for as long as I've been sailing to lead the spinnaker sheets to the halyard winches. I haven't come across a boat with separate spinnaker winches aft for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Dehler 39.
    Agree with that. Certainly both very high performance and comfy
    Real men do it two handed

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    What about a Sigma 400 or 41 or even a 38.
    The 400 and 41 are VERY different boats.
    Both getting a tad long in the tooth now.
    Real men do it two handed

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    The aft winches on the GS are for the main sheet, what is known as the German system. You can just about make it out in this picture.

It's been standard for as long as I've been sailing to lead the spinnaker sheets to the halyard winches. I haven't come across a boat with separate spinnaker winches aft for years.
    Ah - I'm clearly an old fashioned sort of guy - my halyard winches are on the mast

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast