Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: What premium performance cruiser / cruiser racer?

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    For a long time that was near the top of my list as "my next boat". They seem to be getting hard to find these days (can't see any for sale in UK) and they are getting a bit long in the tooth as they have been out of production for 30 years
    Have to chip in here with my Lightwave flag, I've got one, had it for 15 years, bought to go solo / double handed racing, bit old for that now at 72 (me, not the boat ! )
    Have gradually made it more cruiser-like over the past several years - added headsail furling, stack pack, curtains (!) etc. Longest my partner and I have done onboard is three months, in great comfort for two yet it will still get to the mid-teens downwind in a blow. apart from the raked bow it doesn't look like a 30 year old boat.
    Upsides: it's quick, easy to sail fast, loads of room for two or four, everything is easy to get at for maintenance, handles well under power forwards and backwards ( I have a recent 3YM30 and a Maxprop) an important point, mine has a fin and bulb keel, they rolled like dogs downwind with the original fin.
    Downsides: balsa cored hull and deck, the bridge deck mainsheet track can be a PTA and it's difficult to get airflow through the boat anchored or berthed in hot weather, not enough opening hatches / portlights. An issue with such a boat is how much do I spend proportional to it's value (not very much) which is what's happened to 'Blue Pearl' mentioned elsewhere, for sale at 44K. I have fitted an extraction fan which helps, it's also difficult to find a way to fit an aesthetically pleasing sprayhood
    It's still a hell of a lot of boat for realistically around 30K (if you can find one) even though some clearly regard it as 'too old'. Hard to find 40 feet of that much fun for so little money

Brest.jpg

There don't seem to be any LW395 for sale any closer than Barcelona - which is a long way to go for a boat of that age.

There certainly are a handful of very good boats from the late 80s/90s that might be worth considering - the oyster and the starlight also mentioned above are good examples.

There don't seem to be any LW395 for sale any closer than Barcelona - which is a long way to go for a boat of that age.

There certainly are a handful of very good boats from the late 80s/90s that might be worth considering - the oyster and the starlight also mentioned above are good examples.
    Starlight is certainly very nice, more cruiser oriented than the LW I guess but then twice the price,( apart from the smashed up one in Essex for 27K) which of course may not be an issue...!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    Starlight is certainly very nice, more cruiser oriented than the LW I guess but then twice the price,( apart from the smashed up one in Essex for 27K) which of course may not be an issue...!
    Realistically for a boat of that length/age the price doesn't make much difference if it is below say 100K. The depreciation element soon gets swamped by the other running costs.

If you're essentially looking for a cruising boat with a good turn of speed, which points well and sails well upwind, and can also get into double figures downwind with a cruising chute up, don't discount the Bruce Farr-designed Bavarias. They're not slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    Ouch !

https://www.rightboat.com/gb/boats-f...oject/rb228318
    Moody 31

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
    They are having a laugh - I'm afraid that looks like a total write off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I think we must be talking at cross purposes... Your mainsheet should be nowhere near the halyard winches on a performance boat. And on most performance boats the kicker is a cascade and has no need of a winch.
    Performance boats that have a german mainsheet system have a dedicated pair of mainsheet winches aft. Then a pair of primaries for the jib sheets, then the halyard winches on the coachroof.
    Ah now I see where you are coming from. 6 winches in total not just 2 in total which I thought you were enthusing about. Yes - 6 winches even better than two either side but Id still like prefer them as a set of 3 on either side of the coach roof.

They are having a laugh - I'm afraid that looks like a total write off to me.
    I think so too. A real pity, as this may well be the youngest Starlight 39. Mine was built in 1999 and I think three more were built before Rival Bowman went under. The moulds were bought by Rustler, but I do not know whether they actually built any.
    If you're looking for a fast and comfortable boat, it still is. We cruised the West coast of Norway this summer and on both crossings of the North Sea we averaged 7 knots in comfort.

Don't we have a prominent forumite who knows all about repairing significant damage to a Starlight. Perhaps he could advise

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast