Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: What premium performance cruiser / cruiser racer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
    I would assume that it's owned by the insurance company that paid out on it. Put in a cheeky offer of £5k. You never know....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    I would assume that it's owned by the insurance company that paid out on it. Put in a cheeky offer of £5k. You never know....
    Have you seen the pictures? How much to do reckon to repair that?

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    Have you seen the pictures? How much to do reckon to repair that?
    Looking at the photos, most of the damage looks cosmetic rather than structural.

I guess it depends whether you have the time, the knowledge, and the inclination.

There's got to be £5k of kit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Looking at the photos, most of the damage looks cosmetic rather than structural.

I guess it depends whether you have the time, the knowledge, and the inclination.

There's got to be £5k of kit on it.
    I think it is balsa-cored, and it seems that the outer layer has been entirely ripped away in several places, look at the stern by the support. Must be a danger of there having been significant water ingress into the core and I have no idea if that is repairable.

I think it is balsa-cored, and it seems that the outer layer has been entirely ripped away in several places, look at the stern by the support. Must be a danger of there having been significant water ingress into the core and I have no idea if that is repairable.
    Nice as the Starlight is... You'll spend 10s of thousands bringing that one up to scratch, money that you're very unlikely to see again. If it's your dream boat, then it might be worth it, but otherwise there are plenty of other boats out there that don't come with those issues.
    You never know, I might be right!

My initial thoughts for a "premium" second hand cruiser racer were in no particular order:

Centurion (Wauquiez), X-Yacht, Arcona, Sweden Yacht, Baltic, Swan (if budget permits!)

One poster mentioned a First 42s7 - sailed one down from Pula (Croatia) to Corfu in May this year. I used to race on it well over 10 years ago but is now set up purely for cruising with roller headsail and stack pack main. It is one of the rarer lead keel versions and still sails beautifully (without slamming to windward). One of Bruce Farr's finest. Getting on in age now but a well looked after one (such as the one I crewed on) is a sailing bargain imho.

The hull is plain GRP, not balsa cored. There is foam injecteren into the voids between the and the inner moulding. That foam is supposed to be inert, but I would not voucher for it.
    Anyway, very doubtful it would make economic sense to pick up this project.

You said you like Grand Soleil. I do too. I nearly bought a 56 a while back, but my offers were refused. I still admire them. Here's one rather cheaper than I would have expected and well within budget:
    https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...il-56-3510006/

I fancy the look of the Pogo 12.9

Fast, but designed to be sailed by just two.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

J109 for me:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/j109

The open transom can be bulkheaded for pottering.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast