Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: What premium performance cruiser / cruiser racer?

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    J109 for me:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/j109

The open transom can be bulkheaded for pottering.
    But it depends what the OP means by “premium” in the requirement. J’s, as well as Pogo, JPK etc are great short handed race or high performance boats. But tend not to be “premium” comfort wise below. Hence as the OP said in #13 that J’s are “a bit spartan” is what perhaps nudges more towards Swan, Arcona, X etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    But it depends what the OP means by “premium” in the requirement. J’s, as well as Pogo, JPK etc are great short handed race or high performance boats. But tend not to be “premium” comfort wise below. Hence as the OP said in #13 that J’s are “a bit spartan” is what perhaps nudges more towards Swan, Arcona, X etc.
    You have to take account of the boat's WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) and even the KAF (Kids Acceptance Factor) and boats like the J boats are unlikely to score highly enough in those critical areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    You have to take account of the boat's WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) and even the KAF (Kids Acceptance Factor) and boats like the J boats are unlikely to score highly enough in those critical areas.
    I owned and raced a J44 back in late 90's, blisteringly fast boat and a very long way from spartan with full cherry wood interior, large galley, two heads, separate shower compartment. Sailed her several times solo between the west country and the solent without drama, my particular boat had won the Capetown - Rio race in it's first year, was subsequently sold to a Swedish guy and sailed back there, then brought to the UK where I bought her through Berthon. A quick boat in both light and heavy airs, not easy to find now in Europe although I believe there's one in Scotland for sail albeit with the 'Classic' interior (white laminate, teak edge trim). Best boat I'll ever own
    http://www.jboats.com/j44-performance

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    I owned and raced a J44 back in late 90's, blisteringly fast boat and a very long way from spartan with full cherry wood interior, large galley, two heads, separate shower compartment. Sailed her several times solo between the west country and the solent without drama, my particular boat had won the Capetown - Rio race in it's first year, was subsequently sold to a Swedish guy and sailed back there, then brought to the UK where I bought her through Berthon. A quick boat in both light and heavy airs, not easy to find now in Europe although I believe there's one in Scotland for sail albeit with the 'Classic' interior (white laminate, teak edge trim). Best boat I'll ever own
    I did a race or two on J-Hawk the Hamble based J44 sometime around 1990 - it was fast and stiff. Usually first around the race course beating the First 45f5 I used to race on and others particularly upwind. Agree it was a fabulous design.

Quote Originally Posted by E39mad View Post
    I did a race or two on J-Hawk the Hamble based J44 sometime around 1990 - it was fast and stiff. Usually first around the race course beating the First 45f5 I used to race on and others particularly upwind. Agree it was a fabulous design.
    I seem to remember J-Hawk was one of the top RORC boats around in it's day

I don't know much about the older Js - seems to be yet another example of where the boats from the 80s/90s fit the bill better than a more recent model

AFAIK there has still been no mention of budget. The XC 38/42 serve the OP's requirements but at a price. And they're as rare as hen's teeth secondhand.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I seem to remember J-Hawk was one of the top RORC boats around in it's day
    Sorry wrong quote ...

Should be for E39mad
    Was it the standard First 45f5 with two spreaders or the racing version with four spreaders and a 2.5m lead keel.? 1032 sq ft. S/a d 23.6 .I own the later and it leaves the forma behind .white marble top kitchen for the ladies and white leather saloon with teak finish. Probably the best Beneteau made.
    Last edited by rtboss1; 05-09-19 at 13:25.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by rtboss1 View Post
    Sorry wrong quote ...

Should be for E39mad
    Was it the standard First 45f5 with two spreaders or the racing version with four spreaders and a 2.5m lead keel.? 1032 sq ft. S/a d 23.6 .I own the later and it leaves the forma behind .white marble top kitchen for the ladies and white leather saloon with teak finish. Probably the best Beneteau made.
    It was a cast iron deep keel, two spreader version. Four cabin version called Crocodile Dundee, used to race against sisterships Bounder (which had a lead keel iirc) and Harry Dodd's boat whose name escapes me.

It was still quick - did round the island in 6 3/4 hours in 1990 - 6th monohull around with a constant 10 knots boat speed with the kite up down the back of the island. We pushed the boat hard - so much so it had to go back to Beneteau after about four years.
    Last edited by E39mad; 05-09-19 at 14:39.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567