Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: flares

Default Re: flares

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    I'd risk feeding one to you, all in the interests of a day or two of peace and quiet.
    You do know that the flares they are talking about arent from your wardrobe?

Get rid of them. DSC radio, a PLB (or an EPIRB) a huge torch and an electronic signalling device if you must. IMO flares are dangerous items that are deployed by untrained persons in moments of stress. In the middle of the North Sea I am possibly out of VHF range to a shore station but not a DSC receiver on another vessel and no ships may be near enough to see a flare, particulary in daylight. A PLB will get the message across if DSC can't.
    The main benefit of an Odeo or similar is help rescue vessel spot you on approach. Admittedly they don't give a 'copter any info about wind like a smoke might but that's a small matter IMO.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    Get rid of them. DSC radio, a PLB (or an EPIRB) a huge torch and an electronic signalling device if you must. IMO flares are dangerous items that are deployed by untrained persons in moments of stress. In the middle of the North Sea I am possibly out of VHF range to a shore station but not a DSC receiver on another vessel and no ships may be near enough to see a flare, particulary in daylight. A PLB will get the message across if DSC can't.
    The main benefit of an Odeo or similar is help rescue vessel spot you on approach. Admittedly they don't give a 'copter any info about wind like a smoke might but that's a small matter IMO.
    DSC distress of course, plus PLB's and EPIRB's but the latter 2 aren't very likely to get a quick response.( I asked Falmouth MRCC and they said an hour before launching a lifeboat/helo, due to corroboration being needed, database searching etc. )
    In what way are flares 'dangerous', compared to cooking at sea for example?
    'Untrained persons'? You need to pull a handle and point the flare.
    More training is needed to use a VHF or indeed, cook a meal at sea.
    Everyone knows what a flare looks like, there's no doubt a vessel needs help. That is very much not the case with winking red LED's, torches etc.
    Smoke and dye are very conspicuous in daylight, and from the air.
    Each to his own, you keep your nice big torch, but I will stick to carrying enough red rockets to start WW3 !
    By the way, a locker full of rockets is always popular with the crew

edited to add, I'm just disagreeing with you, not criticising.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 30-08-19 at 20:55.

The only time I have been in a situation that required it a used a red flare was very impressed with the result
    It was seen further than the range of the hh radio and was 25 years ago so pre electronic alternatives

So is there any rule/law that forces us to carry flares? And are those rules/laws different on the Continent?
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    So is there any rule/law that forces us to carry flares? And are those rules/laws different on the Continent?
    No rule on UK flagged private yachts (up to 24 m long I believe?) But sometimes insurance company requirements can become mythical rules by cultural osmosis ( 10 year rig replacement for example).
    And fair enough, if your yacht hit a box awash, and sank, and I was your insurance underwriter, it might cross my mind to ask why you didn't use flares to call for help after your radio went wrong, thus saving my company buying you another boat..

There must be MCA rules for small commercial sailing vessels?

Plenty of rules abroad..

The other one which always comes up is, can the French authorities fine UK flag yachts for OOD pyros?

The Small Commercial Vessel code of practice requires vessels to carry in date flares.

I no longer own or manage any commercial vessels but I keep my liveaboard boat up with stuff like that.

Most of the commercial Vessels I work on are MCA coded despite being based away from there but Spanish vessels Ive worked on have carried flares.

I have no problem with any of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Yes I am aware there has been one well-publicised serious injury, allegedly caused by the flare going wrong due to excess age.
    If you are referring to the Duncan Wells incident (2006), my understanding is that the flare involved was in-date but faulty. (But perhaps you were alluding to something different.)

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    If you are referring to the Duncan Wells incident (2006), my understanding is that the flare involved was in-date but faulty. (But perhaps you were alluding to something different.)
    Yes my mistake, I was referring to Duncan Wells, thanks for putting me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    I know this has been done to death over the years, but what are the current trends in flares?
    New insurer says I can't have the out of date ones any more. Spoilsports.
    Have you asked them why?

I am a huge fan of pyrotechnics having been involved in Mountain Rescue for a few years, they are brilliant at guiding a rescue party/helicopter in for the last mile. I will caveat my comment by saying that you should be trained in there use and remind yourself how to use them now and again.

Like all things manufactures will cover their asses and give a shorter use by date than they know the compounds are stable. I've used flares that given the correct storage conditions, a cool dry place worked normally.

There is a thread from about a year ago where a chap stored his flares in a deck locker above a life raft in the Med and was surprised when they self ignited. Goodness knows what the temprature in there got up to but I suspect about 50 degrees C!
    Last edited by Sandy; 31-08-19 at 12:56. Reason: my not me comment
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast