Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: flares

Default Re: flares

About 4 years ago a lifeboat was trying to find me at night in heavy weather and asked me to light a flare as they could not see me in the waves. I do not think that an electronic device would have been much use. Most of the time both boats were in wave troughs but the glare of the flare would be far easier to see.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 31-08-19 at 07:28.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Have you asked them why?
    I sent the last survey from 2017, it could only find 3 very minor issues and one was some OOD flares.
    As to that surveyor, the least said the better.
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    So is there any rule/law that forces us to carry flares? And are those rules/laws different on the Continent?
    The French have rules dependent on distance offshore ( i think) i have been known to be wrong, but not often

Quote Originally Posted by 38mess View Post
    At midnight on the expiry day, do the flare suddenly become a hazard? I think not. As soon as non pyro flares are recognised by insurance company the better
    yes if a few days out of date so equivalent to flares a few months up to one year past
    date and certainly if stranded with no other food!

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    So is there any rule/law that forces us to carry flares? And are those rules/laws different on the Continent?
    Mandatory in Portugal, including foreign flagged boats here >6 months. Lots of other safety equipment requirements as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Mandatory in Portugal, including foreign flagged boats here >6 months. Lots of other safety equipment requirements as well.
    Unfortunately, in Portugal, getting replacement flares is not straight forward.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Checked the stock today. Yes, I do (did) have OOD flares which I kept immediately after the survey as they were only a couple of months over but at the same time I bought a couple of parachute flares and a hand held smoke.
    So now all I have to do is get rid of the old ones!
    Pardon?

Please see my White Flares #18.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    If you are referring to the Duncan Wells incident (2006), my understanding is that the flare involved was in-date but faulty. (But perhaps you were alluding to something different.)
    Many years ago I fired off two out of date red parachute flaresfrom my house, mainly to get experience in using them. Both landed still burning, one on my neighbour's wooden roof and one on my greenhouse. Never again!
    We did also try several hand helds and this provided useful experience in things like the heat (wear a leather glove) and the shower of hot sparks (keep away from the life raft).
    A later incident in the garden of a well known Forumite was very sobering. Some old yachtie friends were working their way through a pile of OOD flares for fun. One red parachute flare (held correctly) blew off DOWNWARDS instead of upwards. Very close miss of his Crown Jewels! Never again.

So two things from your tale there, Resolution.
    Parachute flares can set fire to sheds, so make sure they land at sea (but ice, tundra, desert woukd seen safe as well).
    Don't have EITHER end pointing at anything, let alone the crown jewels!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast