Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Manoeuvring with outboards

Genuine question from a (currently) raggie.
    I just watched a Sports Fisher thingy, Beneteau Barracuda I think, about 25foot with twin 150 outboards. He came in nice and slowly on one engine but as he manoeuvred (nicely) into his pontoon berth he did not steer at all, the outboard in use did not move from the straight ahead position. He did however use copious amounts of bow thruster.
    Now, I have never driven a similar boat but I familiar with big Ribs and outboards and find it difficult to understand the logic of not steering into a berth.
    BTW this is in France where there are lots of these boats and they all do it.
    Enlighten me.

Default Re: Manoeuvring with outboards

New boater, lazy boater, unskilled boater - take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    Genuine question from a (currently) raggie.
    I just watched a Sports Fisher thingy, Beneteau Barracuda I think, about 25foot with twin 150 outboards. He came in nice and slowly on one engine but as he manoeuvred (nicely) into his pontoon berth he did not steer at all, the outboard in use did not move from the straight ahead position. He did however use copious amounts of bow thruster.
    Now, I have never driven a similar boat but I familiar with big Ribs and outboards and find it difficult to understand the logic of not steering into a berth.
    BTW this is in France where there are lots of these boats and they all do it.
    Enlighten me.
    Is there a right and a wrong way to park a boat? If the technique works for him then that's great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Is there a right and a wrong way to park a boat? If the technique works for him then that's great IMO.
    More or less but abusing the thruster is symptomatic of something not akin to good seamanship.

I used to take 8/12 adults/kids on my Boston Whaler with a Yam 200 on inter island trips. Pretty heavy, but dock to beach and back, you just get to know where and when to come off the throttle or add a dab of oppo. The fenders should hardly ever kiss the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by EU_Cruiser View Post
    More or less but abusing the thruster is symptomatic of something not akin to good seamanship.
    That's just total rubbish.

Using the thruster is appropriate when you want to move the bow without the stern kicking around.
    In a tight marina, both thruster (move the bow) and engines (move the stern or twiddle the boat around an axis closer to the stern) can be required.

It varies for each boat, but on an SC35, although the engines/outdrives are way more powerful than a puny thruster, the axis of rotation if you try to spin on drives only will result in a wallet shrinking experience in a tight situation with a breeze where the stern is close to something else - you need both.

On a shorter boat (S28) where the drives are spaced further apart relative to the length of the boat you don't need a bow thruster at all.

It's nothing to do with seamanship.

Last edited by FlowerPower; 31-08-19 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
    That's just total rubbish.

It's nothing to do with seamanship.

I wrote abusing the bow thruster. We see private boats using their thrusters a dozen times to line up and exit a lock. Most boats use it once or twice and many not at all. I saw a big cruiser the other day maneuvering off a wall mooring with little by way of obstruction apart from a narrowing of the canal in front of him, Thrusters and engines only - I did not see a turn of the wheel until he was past the narrowing. That's bad seamanship imo.

I have twin outdrives.
    I position the boat then start to reverse in with the steering straight.
    I use the engines to control the boat. Bursts if just in gear only. Reversing starboard engine brings the boat towards the pontoon on the port side for example . A burst of both engines brings the boat back straight. A nudge of bow thruster keeps the bow in line if the wind has caught it.
    I bring the stern to the pontoon and the crew steps off and is ready to get the middle rope.
    It works for me and in calm conditions I dont need the bow thruster.
    Sounds very similar to the method you describe.
    What should I do differently?

Hi we have got 36foot twin shaft driven boat and I never touch the steering wheel when berthing , and I have a bow thruster, I can cope without it and have done. So for 30 years as none of our previous boats had one .but it does ha e itís uses on planing hull as the bow has very little bite In the water and thruster helps keep it in Check if itís windy , I can make my boat go side ways, one engine forward and other in reverse and but of bow thruster ,and Iím not ashamed of using it and I donít see harm in using the bow thruster , I think it keeps the weed off it by using it

I have bow and stern thruster, and find it is by far the most effective to use these and the 2 engines to berth the boat rather then use the helm. This is especially true in side-wind conditions.

I can't see why this should be poor seamanship as it achieves the objective without hitting the pontoon or neighbouring boats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast