Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Boating season is officially starting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Someone once told me that you donít know a country until you are bored because no matter where you go the natives are bored
    That is quite an insightful comment. Your ghetto pics aren't quite selling it to me though. A boat should only be "parked" if nobody is onboard. I get the sun worship bit but then I see loads of posts about AC's, icemakers, heat etc. It's like you have too much of a good thing too often.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    It's like you have too much of a good thing too often.
    yes and I do feel guilty. You are truly privileged if you can choose where you live.
    The amazing thing is that on top of the idyllic scenery, the sunshine, the crystal clear turquoise sea and good food, there are no tides!!

Well, it isn't called Med mooring for nothing: just imagine securing your boat to a bow line in the Channel at low tide.
    You'd better hope that either the line or the cleat lets go, because the alternative would be a sunk boat with the next high tide!
    It's no coincidence that in the N Adriatic, which is the part of the Med with the more relevant tides (albeit nowhere near what you are used to in the UK), they use a different system, with poles at the bow.

The down side to Med mooring (besides the hard work) is when a neighbor arrives. Today a yacht with sharp pointy parts projecting out, squeezed in next to us (the yottie on the other side was not amused I can tell you). Although Iíve good side decks the dog decided to help. I needed to walk to the stern which required the dog to reverse, something dogs are not good at! Not only was the wife mad at me but I must have pulled twelve muscles pushing the yacht off. And now Iím worried he will leave without me being here to defend my boat.
    Joys of boating

Well, at least leaving is normally easier/safer than entering a tight berth, but you surely know that already.

I'm a bit puzzled by the "sharp pointy parts" anyway, since theoretically only the boat sides are at risk of collision, while reversing in a berth.
    Did the offending boat try to dock with paravanes deployed!?

He had a rocket launcher poking out the side right at my gelcote and an outboard on the outside of his rails. These were hard to keep away when there was only a squashed fenderís width on each side. Fortunately, after docking I asked him to do something and he changed the angle of the rocket launcher and fendered the outboard!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Of course we do. Well, I do, anyway.
    Since myself and swmbo abandoned the rat race, whenever Med boating is not as nice as in the late spring-mid autumn timeframe, we have lived (in no particular order) in the following places:
    California
    Florida
    Alaska
    Canada
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Japan

And when I say "lived", I actually mean it - i.e. not as tourists, but using home exchange, at least for several weeks if not months, which is a radically different perspective.
    We liked a lot of places, and loved some of them. But you know what?
    Whenever someone ask me where I live, "in a small island in the very center of the Med" still is my most accurate answer
    Yes, and we don’t need reminding what a great life you lead.....

As long as don’t mind sharing it with some friends every now and again

Not only I (we, actually) don't mind, but it's part of the pleasure!

And you know that I'm not talking just of the boating bit, but also sharing the home exchange experiences, whenever possible!

Just returned from a very pleasant 9 days on board. Weather was a bit mixed but nice nevertheless. Speaking to the marineros, they say the season is already completely over. In fact we saw hardly any other boats out, even with the glassy smooth, sunny and still conditions that we enjoyed. Their loss!

Talking of Med boating, I don't think I have EVER seen anyone else sleeping on their boat in our marina (they're all used as day boats), even at the height of the season. Is this unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Just returned from a very pleasant 9 days on board. Weather was a bit mixed but nice nevertheless. Speaking to the marineros, they say the season is already completely over. In fact we saw hardly any other boats out, even with the glassy smooth, sunny and still conditions that we enjoyed. Their loss!
    Agree some of the best days are during the quiet season months, sea conditions generally better. The Spanish tend to moth ball from Oct - April.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Talking of Med boating, I don't think I have EVER seen anyone else sleeping on their boat in our marina (they're all used as day boats), even at the height of the season. Is this unusual?
    That's my experience as well. We do the same. We stay on-board for 2-3 weeks a year but hardly ever in our home marina, from there it's just day boating.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast