Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corfu - Water

Default Corfu - Water

I'm off in a few weeks to to cruise around Corfu.

I know that water can be expensive, does anyone know where I could tank up for free or at least at minimum cost please ?
    You really only know - when you know little. Doubt grows with knowledge.

Default Re: Corfu - Water

One thing to be aware of, if you visit Paxos and moor in Lakka, the water (was) free, but taste it first! when it gets to September the water table drops, the water can be salty out of the tap.

In Gouvia marina on Corfu you can fill up for free on the pontoons or go to the purchased water place nearer the reception.

We filled up for free at the pontoon but that water is very hard and you get a huge amount of chalk in the bottom of the tank.

Richard

If you are prepared to use water containers you can fill up at the White House restaurant dinghy pontoon in Kalami or there is a tap at the restaurant at the end of the quay in Kassiopi, owned by restaurant but they don't mind you using it. If you had a very long hose, or could get other yachts to join hoses together, you could probably fill straight into the tank
    You can also get free water on the quay on the mainland in Sagiada, sometimes the Port Police charge you for the night sometimes they don't. Quite a nice shortish sail across and worth a visit anyway
    Last edited by jordanbasset; 31-08-19 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    In Gouvia marina on Corfu you can fill up for free on the pontoons or go to the purchased water place nearer the reception.
    No good. The water from the ordinary taps on the pontoons is slightly salty. I think they mix this on purpose to make you buy their "potable" water from the chargeable taps. What you can do is get water from the taps ashore - there is one right in front of the marina office - but then you'll need to yomp it out to your yacht.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Gouvia marina water is not only nasty tasting, they also advice it’s not for drinking... The potable water taps use a card from the marina office, costs about €10 for 500l IIRC. However, many of the taps will have credit left on them by by a previous user, so do check before spending money. Also some of the taps work without the card..... you may be lucky.
    Otherwise, I can’t think of any free fill up places on the island. Most places with town quays have now installed metered water taps where you use a card to get your water or there isn’t a tap. That’s apart from Mandrcki (underneath the citadel) and NAOK round the other side where water is included in the berthing fee and is good water.

For pure, freshly drawn spring water try the submarine spring at Parga. Icy-cold fresh water at the surface of the bay.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

In the SW corner of Garitsa bay there is a hexagonal water house. People come from all around to fill containers with its delicious spring water.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Gouvia marina water is not only nasty tasting, they also advice it’s not for drinking...
    I'm sure that it is fine for drinking as it's probably just unsoftened Corfu mains water. However, we only use it for showering and washing and it's fine for that if you can put up with the chalk.

Richard

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm sure that it is fine for drinking as it's probably just unsoftened Corfu mains water. However, we only use it for showering and washing and it's fine for that if you can put up with the chalk.

Richard
    Yes, I’d always thought that. We spent a winter there 8 years back and found the “free” water ok but very hard. However, last time we were there (couple of years back) the water was truly revolting to taste so we paid for the “drinking” water as we use our tanked water for hot drinks and cooking as well as showers etc. Made me wonder if perhaps the marina is getting their water from a private supply rather than the public system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast