Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navtex aerial orientation

Trying to mount the new Navtex aerial down below, I can squeeze the aerial into a gap horizontally but not vertically.

I am sure that there are complicated radiation and reception reasons why this will attenuate the signal, but are the Navtex frequencies 'simple' enough for the signal to still wiggle its way into the receiver component of the aerial, please ? Or do I stick it back on the pushpit rail where I broke the holder a few weeks ago ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: Navtex aerial orientation

You may effects where the signal strength depends on the ship's heading.
    I would expect that it will be fine in strong signal areas, as the supposedly vertically polarised signal is much dispersed around the surface of the sea and the structure of your yacht. However, In my simple view, navtex is all about getting weather info far from home, so the best aerial on can reasonably achieve is desirable?

First off put it outside not down below.

If IIRC most Navtex antennas are 'active' so check the installation instructions as to what and where is acceptable. You won't get zapped but it will likely affect things like the compass.

W/

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Mine lives in the tiller flat, give good reception and keeps the active antenna dry. The first one died due to water ingress, so I moved it inside.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Trying to mount the new Navtex aerial down below, I can squeeze the aerial into a gap horizontally but not vertically.

I am sure that there are complicated radiation and reception reasons why this will attenuate the signal, but are the Navtex frequencies 'simple' enough for the signal to still wiggle its way into the receiver component of the aerial, please ? Or do I stick it back on the pushpit rail where I broke the holder a few weeks ago ?
    Mine was stuffed in to the headlining horizontally when I bought the boat, I phoned Navtex up, they said it was fine.

Mine is mounted up under the cockpit coaming out of sight in the dry, inside the fibreglass, at about 45degrees to anything and works fine. These very low frequencies are not very polarisation sensitive like VHF is, so you'd hardly go wrong orienting it any way you want. I'd say the orientation should be suit the mounting options more than worry about the signal.
    But you could easily mount it in a place that would attenuate the signal - inside a metal hull! So in an aluminium or steel hull boat, get it up out in the clear. In a plastic boat just get it well above the water line.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

Ours is fitted inside on the side wall next to the chart table, not had any problems in the last six months since fitting it

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    First off put it outside not down below.
    Why?

Most boats are plastic, the radio waves really wont care, unlike VHF, it does not need to be "line of sight" so inside is fine, just try to keep it (reasonably) clear of other wiring and electronic equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Why?

Most boats are plastic, the radio waves really wont care, unlike VHF, it does not need to be "line of sight" so inside is fine, just try to keep it (reasonably) clear of other wiring and electronic equipment.
    Even plastic and wooden boats attenuate radio waves to a point. And you answer your own question - keeping it clear of other wiring and electrical equipment is pretty much impossible inside.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Ours is fitted inside on the side wall next to the chart table, not had any problems in the last six months since fitting it
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast