Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default White parachute flares

These look very useful, to help find an MOB or any time you need some extra light. Looking for a rock and your torch fell in the water? Up goes the white rocket.
    Ship heading your way, ignoring your torch? Supposing he ignores the h/h white flare? White rocket!
    There are many other potential uses. They are very expensive unfortunately, even more than red ones for some reason.
    One use springs to mind: training people to use red rockets. As white ones are not distress signals, but just extra illumination, it woukd be a good, if pricey, way to give crew the experience of letting off a rocket.

I have never let off a white rocket, has anyone tried it, how bright are they really?
    Would they help find a rock, in practice?

Is someone going to say tsk tsk, it might be mistaken for a distress? True, it might. Then hopefully there would be an MCA/RNLI press release and ( more importantly) Facebook post, informing the public of the vital difference between the two.

Default Re: White parachute flares

I don't think having random members of the public letting off serious pyrotechnics in uncontrolled circumstances is generally a good idea.
    Better to encorage people to carry a spare torch.

They have been around for years they are not new.

They are used for warning ie collision avoidance or they could be used as an answering signal to red parachute flares, you could also use them for illumination for a MOB.

Firing of red or white flares is likely to end up with joe public calling 999 they will not know the difference.

Like red rockets, they still burn when they hit the ground so potentially are very dangerous in the wrong hands and in the wrong place
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

I'm sure the good people at 999 will know the difference. Well, let's hope they do?

Buy a night vision devise, they can be bought for less thank £100, certainly second hand. I got one on here second hand, great bit of kit.

I have used white hand heads and their illumination area is impressive, would imagine a rocket is better.

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.

RNLI lifeboats have carried them for years, for use in searches. Not sure they'd be good for picking out a single rock, you'd be better off with a bright torch.
    But they are good for illuminating a wide area. We always notify the CG when we're about to fire one, as they get swamped with 999 calls.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.

"Like red rockets, they still burn when they hit the ground so potentially are very dangerous in the wrong hands and in the wrong place
    Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?526335-White-parachute-flares#mKqYZ8XQ4DqXo7sm.99"

This is why RNLI now only allows their use more than a quarter of a mile from the shore.
    There was an incident one summer's night a while back with a search close inshore under cliffs, involving a white parachute flare, some dry grass and the fire brigade.

But it wasn't me.
    Last edited by Juan Twothree; 31-08-19 at 17:32.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I don't think having random members of the public letting off serious pyrotechnics in uncontrolled circumstances is generally a good idea.
    I agree with what you say. However I do think that if we are obliged to carry red flares and make them part of our MAYDAY equipment (which coded boats were - don't know about now) then we should be permitted to practice using them in a responsible manner.

It annoyed me, when I ran a sailing school, that the MCA wouldn't allow us to do so in any circumstances.

Maybe white flares are an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    I agree with what you say. However I do think that if we are obliged to carry red flares and make them part of our MAYDAY equipment (which coded boats were - don't know about now) then we should be permitted to practice using them in a responsible manner.

It annoyed me, when I ran a sailing school, that the MCA wouldn't allow us to do so in any circumstances.

Maybe white flares are an answer.
    Because it was my job, I have instructed the use of flares and let off 100s.

It has only served to convince me that in anything but trained hands, the danger of flares outweighs their value.

Rather than flares, I would advocate the use of non-pyrotechnic devices and like automatic firearms, restrict flares to use by qualified professionals.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast