Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: White parachute flares

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    Is this a responsible way to dispose of them, though...

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Additionally, there are a variety of flares available that are fired in different ways. How many skippers and crew have even read the operating instructions prior to an incident❓.
    I've let many old handheld and parachute flares off on bonfire nights, well inland. As you say, there are several very different firing mechanisms and for an inexperienced person to try and fire one in dark and nasty conditions without first being able to read the instructions could be recipe for an accident. Whenever I get a new set, I always have a good read at particularly the rockets and if the end cap can be removed do so to check the firing method.

Although they're mandatory here, I would carry them anyway and am not convinced the new electronic devices are as good or, that members of the public would recognise them as distress flares anyway as too many display lasers around.

I was once working an attempted suicide job on an inland lifeboat when a member of the public elsewhere popped a white rocket up, all of a sudden our scene was illuminated beautifully. We’ve no idea who it was or why they did it but it helped no end.

Painswessex sells dummy flares
    That can be used for familiarization. Of course there are different firing mechanisms that Painswessex style.

I attended several training sessions run by the RNLI back when they did such things and on the beach near Lee on Solent they let off some green parachute flares having warned the coastguard beforehand.

When they phoned the coastguard to advise that the exercise was over the coastguard told them that they had received several phone calls reporting red parachute flares. It seems likely that the public will see whatever colour their imagination tells them it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    I attended several training sessions run by the RNLI back when they did such things and on the beach near Lee on Solent they let off some green parachute flares having warned the coastguard beforehand.

When they phoned the coastguard to advise that the exercise was over the coastguard told them that they had received several phone calls reporting red parachute flares. It seems likely that the public will see whatever colour their imagination tells them it is.
    Yes, that's good, well done to the clifftop hikers etc..and it also shows that flares get called in, I bet those same members of the public wouldn't have phoned about a flashing LED torch...

Although I take the point that white flares will 100% get reported as a distress, and on reflection the ability to warn the CG must form part of the decision making, about whether to fire a white rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    (Except the comparison with firearm licensing, which is just incendiary scaremongering).

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    I'm sure the good people at 999 will know the difference. Well, let's hope they do?
    The call handler will only know what the caller describes - and in reality, in some cloud conditions, the two actually aren't that different from a distance.

So any flare firing is likely to trigger a flurry of calls, and assets will have to be tasked to investigate.

Don't forget the primary purpose of a white under SOLAS is to answer a red distress, so equally a report of a white flare wouldn't necessarily mean no incident, so assets would be tasked.
    Western Solent's Lifeboat -.http://solent-rescue.org.uk/

When I was on a local CG team we had a supply of white paras and frequently pinged them off during coastline searches for missing people. Their ability to light a very large area was very valuable and of course many people can then scan the area while it's lit, rather than the one person using a night vision device.
    We were supplied with protective gear and trained in a 'safe' way of firing them (basically at arm's length to one side, and looking the other way) but I was never that happy about firing the things.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast