Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Jabasco Lite Flush - good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    I have experience of this product. The things you like about the product are similar to my own but in practice the three that I have bought have failed me badly. Firstly, they are quieter than most. They are clean, easy to fit and the foot switch operation seems to go down well with most people. The fact that they use less water than other similar products I find has a downside in that the flush timing is fixed and doesn’t necessarily push all the waste to the holding tank. There is a build up of calcification and unpleasant smells. The biggest problem is that they are not robust enough to cope with any misuse. The macerator is driven by a pathetic flimsy drive belt, on plastic pulleys. I learnt early on that you cannot put anything other than human waste and a small amount of toilet tissue. Anything else will break the belt and requires a complete strip down. The parts are not cheap either. I have just replaced my third unit with a cheap electric toilet from Force 4. It isn’t a branded product but the macerator is directly driven from the motor, the flush is push button and you can flush for as long as you think you need to empty the pipe. It is no more noisy and roughly half the price. I’m very impressed. I can’t recommend the lite flush as I don’t think it is up to the job.
    I had a Lite Flush for close on 10 years and basically agree with most of what you say. Mine had the original plastic pulleys but in all that time I never broke the belt or pulleys, used by two people for half of every year. The biggest problem with it to my mind is the low flush volume, aimed at holding tank longevity, at the cost of calcification of the joker valve and toilet loop. As the toilet has aged calcification of the impeller and pump discharge volute has also become a problem, despite regular treatment with hydrochloric acid. I have stripped the unit down to the last component countless times and can change a joker valve in 5 minutes without spilling any water! The flush pump O-ring seals are also very poor and cannot be bought individually, requiring some inventiveness.

This season it became apparent that the impeller shaft seal was leaking and some seawater was finding its way into the bearings, producing interesting noises during operation. Removing the bearing on-board looked highly problematic, so I enquired about a replacement pump and motor, which is the smallest component sold by Jabsco. The cost was almost twice that of a new manual toilet, so I binned the Lite Flush. The Twist and Lock is not so convenient for arthritic hands but enough was enough.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    I had a Lite Flush for close on 10 years and basically agree with most of what you say. Mine had the original plastic pulleys but in all that time I never broke the belt or pulleys, used by two people for half of every year. The biggest problem with it to my mind is the low flush volume, aimed at holding tank longevity, at the cost of calcification of the joker valve and toilet loop. As the toilet has aged calcification of the impeller and pump discharge volute has also become a problem, despite regular treatment with hydrochloric acid. I have stripped the unit down to the last component countless times and can change a joker valve in 5 minutes without spilling any water! The flush pump O-ring seals are also very poor and cannot be bought individually, requiring some inventiveness.

This season it became apparent that the impeller shaft seal was leaking and some seawater was finding its way into the bearings, producing interesting noises during operation. Removing the bearing on-board looked highly problematic, so I enquired about a replacement pump and motor, which is the smallest component sold by Jabsco. The cost was almost twice that of a new manual toilet, so I binned the Lite Flush. The Twist and Lock is not so convenient for arthritic hands but enough was enough.
    Thank you for that info. Changing one of our heads (the one guests use) for a Jansco Lite has been on my list for years - and the low volume of water used seemed a big plus. It’s been hard persuading guest to flush just enough to cleanly clear the bowl and not a drop more.

But although I’m fine changing joker valves quickly and pipes every couple of years I don’t like the sound of all that maintenance so will drop it off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Laundryman View Post
    I have experience of this product. The things you like about the product are similar to my own but in practice the three that I have bought have failed me badly. Firstly, they are quieter than most. They are clean, easy to fit and the foot switch operation seems to go down well with most people. The fact that they use less water than other similar products I find has a downside in that the flush timing is fixed and doesn’t necessarily push all the waste to the holding tank. There is a build up of calcification and unpleasant smells. The biggest problem is that they are not robust enough to cope with any misuse. The macerator is driven by a pathetic flimsy drive belt, on plastic pulleys. I learnt early on that you cannot put anything other than human waste and a small amount of toilet tissue. Anything else will break the belt and requires a complete strip down. The parts are not cheap either. I have just replaced my third unit with a cheap electric toilet from Force 4. It isn’t a branded product but the macerator is directly driven from the motor, the flush is push button and you can flush for as long as you think you need to empty the pipe. It is no more noisy and roughly half the price. I’m very impressed. I can’t recommend the lite flush as I don’t think it is up to the job.
    Thanks for the interesting feedback.
    Is this the force 4 head you fitted?

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-ele...oilet-12v.html

I can't find any videos to assess noise levels but I like the direct drive and the button press flow control.

Limited reviews.
    Has anyone else used this product?

Thanks

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.

Yes it is. I can’t vouch for its durability because I only fitted it a month ago but it has kept the wife happy. No noisier than the lite flush but does take up a little more room. Be prepared to fill the old fitting holes though because they don’t match the jabsco pattern. Despite being unbranded, I am really impressed so far and have high hopes for its durability. In any event it was half the price of a lite flush

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    It’s been hard persuading guest to flush just enough to cleanly clear the bowl and not a drop more.
    I hope you fitted hose of the utmost quality and impermeability since you’re using it as a holding tank

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I hope you fitted hose of the utmost quality and impermeability since you’re using it as a holding tank

Pete
    I change it fairly regularly to avoid smells, quite a quick job now, but am buying butyl pipe this Winter to see if it lasts longer. Much better than full flushes followed by an overflow over the swimmers after a couple of days of 4 people vigorously flushing,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12