Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default single line reefing setup help

Hi,

we have slab reefing and the clew is led back to the cockpit, the Tack has to be done at the mast, i.e a reefing cringle ring shoved onto a the rams horn (at least thats what i believe their called!)

we're looking to change to single line reefing at least for reef one and two, looking at the boom there is space for rollers at the mast end although not fitted (see photo)

What im thinking of doing is adding a block onto the reef cringles at the tack and take the line up the outside of the mast around the block then through a new roller i need to fit into the boom (on the top bit) then over to the existing clew reefing point where you can see the rope looping out

few questions,

will this work
    what are those rollers called in the boom
    can i retrofit said rollers into the boom end
    i assume i cant use the existing bottom rollers in this set up

any help appreciated

Default Re: single line reefing setup help

I would advocate leaving the clew reefing as is and adding another line for the tack. In my experience this can give a good flat reef. The down side is that to set up all 3 reefs you need more lines.
    Take the tack line from a saddle on the mast below and well forward of the gooseneck. Run it up to the eyelet and back to a cheek block or another saddle again well forward and below the gooseneck. From there the line goes down to the deck then back to a winch cleat etc.
    The location of the saddle and sheave will give a pull that is at 45 degrees to the luff and foot so pulling the tack right into the mast (taking load off the luff slugs or bolt rope) and close to the boom making a tidier reef.
    I would suggest give it a go with first reef and see if you like it for not much cost or changes to the mast. ol'will

I think that you will find that Barton do single pullies. For a spindle you could use a long drop nosed pin
    you will need an aligner on the mast to keep the reef line that drops down to the deck well forward ( the green one in your picture) not sure what it is called. A cheap option is a stainless steel ring held in a reefing eye pop rivited to the mast. This does tend to wear on the rope though. But ok for trials
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 01-09-19 at 06:44.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

We have two lines back to the cockpit. With three reefs available I have always been fine about going up to the mast for the first reef but IF I need the third I’m not going anywhere near it!
    So, the tack line for the third reef is permanently attached to the appropriate crinkle and runs back to the cockpit through a cleat. The clew line goes through the boom in the usual way then back to the cockpit through another cleat (obs)

I have just added a thrid reef to my two reef single line system. I had a spare sheeve on the mast end of the boom but it pointed downwards ( a bit like yours). What i did, was to take the line downwards to a block at the mast base, then up to theClew reefing point( I have rings and ears sown into my sail and then down to the normal mast base block array for the reef and back to the cockpit.
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by tross View Post
    I have just added a thrid reef to my two reef single line system. I had a spare sheeve on the mast end of the boom but it pointed downwards ( a bit like yours). What i did, was to take the line downwards to a block at the mast base, then up to theClew reefing point( I have rings and ears sown into my sail and then down to the normal mast base block array for the reef and back to the cockpit.
    I think this may work and be the simplest way of doing it I found a sketch someone else had done for inspiration, although as I type I’m now wondering how to reef while still going upwind for example with only the boom angled to the wind ( which would be a Nightmare wouldn’t it?? Ie if the boom was far enough over it would rub on the rope going to the lower block or am I over thinking it??) and brings me back to looking for sheaves for the boom. (One step closer knowing their called sheaves / sheeves) 79247895-B54D-4900-954A-EB1A1F95BFE6.jpeg
    Last edited by Cactus Sailing; 01-09-19 at 08:01.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    I think this may work and be the simplest way of doing it I found a sketch someone else had done for inspiration, although as I type I’m now wondering how to reef while still going upwind for example with only the boom angled to the wind ( which would be a Nightmare wouldn’t it?? Ie if the boom was far enough over it would rub on the rope going to the lower block or am I over thinking it??) and brings me back to looking for sheaves for the boom. (One step closer knowing their called sheaves / sheeves) 79247895-B54D-4900-954A-EB1A1F95BFE6.jpeg
    After years of successful use of my balance block system (http://coxeng.co.uk/sails-and-rig/si...ng-diy-system/) I suspect that with the one in your sketch it might be quite difficult to achieve adequate clew tension. I find with mine that raising the topping lift far higher than its final position helps to get the sail tight along the boom but the additional friction at the tack end of your diagram might require very heavy winching even with the topping lift high.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

The “rollers” are boom sheaves. Your boom looks like a selden one.

You will need “forward upper sheaves, spindle, circlips and washers”. Part numbers depend on which boom you have.

A good rigger should be able to supply these. I got mine from Martin Leaning Masts & Rigging Ltd.

And yes, you can retro fit. Beware dropping parts over the side...

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    After years of successful use of my balance block system (http://coxeng.co.uk/sails-and-rig/si...ng-diy-system/) I suspect that with the one in your sketch it might be quite difficult to achieve adequate clew tension. I find with mine that raising the topping lift far higher than its final position helps to get the sail tight along the boom but the additional friction at the tack end of your diagram might require very heavy winching even with the topping lift high.
    how does one go about getting a balance block into the boom? and how do you stop it interfering with the reef 2 balance block?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast